starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reflections in Iron: Mike Webster's Training Methods

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks for reading, I am glad you all liked it!

Everyone who played in the 70's and 80's and taped their sleeves up, whether in high school or college or boys club, wanted to be Mike Webster. I have read the story about 10 times now, and it just inspires the hell out of me. It's one of the best that I have read in a long, long, time. It covers it all. And Colin is right- its not sad at all. the man called "Iron Mike" set a standard that will be remembered forever.

Colin, I met your father back in my coaching days. He was a very pleasant guy who had a warm hello for this wet behind the ears GA. He was visiting the women in the football office at his old school. They had been there forever but with the exception of one position coach, the rest of the coaching staff had turned over since his playing days. Still, he took the time to stop by. I was surprised that he wasn’t as big as I expected from his TV presence. Obviously, he was massively strong but not a giant. You know, in the present climate of big time college athletics a lineman his size coming out of high school won’t get a sniff from the big schools. Shoot, there are twenty year old running backs and linebackers playing now who are bigger than your father was as an All-Pro. The public has no concept of the beatings NFL players accumulate. I knew the father of a player who was drafted in the third round and was assured to make the team. But this young man knew the score and chose to skip the bright lights and start his post college life with his body intact. Thanks for sharing your memories.

I actually thought about this article while doing my squats last night, and it really helped me find the motivation to grind out the last set. Thanks.

One of the main things I took away from the article is how resilient the human body can be. I can't even imaging cleaning 450 lbs at this point, let alone with all of those injuries.

Default Thanks

Inspiring article Colin. Thanks for sharing

Great read, one of my favorites. I like to hear of the no-nonsense approach, coupled with sheer determination. Sounds like he was a great man. Thanks Colin.

A really great article. Both inspiring and really touching.

What a great article. It puts a good deal of perspective on life and the lengths it takes to become great at what you love doing. Your father's life is an inspiration for me. Thanks for taking the time to write about it, cheers.
    Last edited by Juzzclimb; 08-16-2011 at 08:29 PM.

i wore 52 in high school because of him...i wasnt as good.lol

starting strength coach development program
    This was an AMAZING read, I imagine this was tough for you to write, Colin, and I REALLY respect you for taking the time to write about your Dad and what REAL lifting is all about!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast