starting strength gym
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbell Training is Big Medicine

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan
    Instead of slowly dwindling into an atrophic puddle of sick fat, our death can be like
    a failed last rep at the end of a final set of heavy squats.
    That was a great article and full of interesting information.

Excellent, like always. My girlfriend (she is a medical student) loved it.

Excellent article. Just reaffirms my wish in life to eventually, hopefully quite a few years from now, die under the bar.

Here is a reference on barbell training in the elderly, awesome outcomes! I have trained people into there 70's, real simple take 3 days per week to 2 days per week, fancy modification that works!

Can J Appl Physiol. 2002 Jun;27(3):213-31.
    Effects of heavy resistance/power training on maximal strength, muscle morphology, and hormonal response patterns in 60-75-year-old men and women.
    Häkkinen K, Kraemer WJ, Pakarinen A, Triplett-McBride T, McBride JM, Häkkinen A, Alen M, McGuigan MR, Bronks R, Newton RU.
    Source
    Department of Biology of Physical Activity and Neuromuscular Research Center, University of Jyväskylä, Finalnd.
    Abstract
    Eleven women (TRW; 64 +/- 4 yrs) and ten men (TRM; 65 +/- 5 yrs) participated in the strength/power training twice a week for 24 weeks. Basal concentrations of serum total and free testosterone, growth hormone (GH), dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS), cortisol and sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) as well as acute responses of serum total and free testosterone, growth hormone (GH) were measured. Maximal 1RM strength in the squat, chair rise time and muscle fibre distribution and areas of type I and IIa and IIb of the vastus lateralis were also examined. 1RM squat increased in TRW by 26 (SD10)% (p < .001), and in TRM by 35 (7)% (p < .001) and chair rise time improved in both groups (p < .001). Fibre areas increased in type I, (p < .01), IIa (p < .01) and IIb (p < .01) in TRM and type I (p < .05) and IIa (p < .05) in TRW. The proportion of type IIa increased from 31% to 43% (p < .05) in TRW and that of type IIb decreased from 27% to 17% (p < .05) in TRW and from 25% to 17% (p < .05) in TRM. Individual concentrations of testosterone/cortisol ratios correlated (r = 0.63; p < .05) with the individual increases in 1RM strength in TRW. The exercise sessions resulted in acute increases in serum GH in both groups (p < .05) with a further increase (p < .01) up to 10 minutes post-loading in TRM at post-training.

Quote Originally Posted by PressesPeople View Post
    Aww he didn't use my quote in the article
    It was written before you posted it. But we all thought it was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Crish View Post
    Nice!
    I work on an age-related neurodegenerative disease (glaucoma) and it is amazing how few people, even colleagues that should know better, just don't get these points. We need more articles like this.
    Be sure to link it to your buddies, so that it can get more widely read. Of all the articles we've run, this is the one that people outside our little community need to read.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 09-03-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Will be sharing with the multitudes.

I really liked reading this. Very motivational. Makes me think of my father and father in law. I'm thinking of printing this out and laying it around for them to read. I'm not sure many of the exercise articles I have read in the past 2 - 3 months have affected me in this way.

Thank You...

Phenomenal article, Dr. Sulivan. I will be sharing this with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Be sure to link it to your buddies, so that it can get more widely read. Of all the articles we've run, this is the one that people outside our little community need to read.
    Oh, I sent it off immediately to several people. Most of my colleagues in aging and degeneration that do recognize the importance of exercise do LSD running. I am very vocal with my opinions on that and am constantly trying to convince them to take up strength training with little success.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, all.

Quote Originally Posted by mccaulleyg View Post
    Here is a reference on barbell training in the elderly
    Added to my database. Thanks for sharing it.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast