starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stopping the Spread of Misinflammation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks, all, for the comments, and taking the time to read a long nerdy article.

@Matt: Tramping through the literature, I believe I've seen all of those treatments you mentioned studied in one way or other, and as far as I know none of them have any bigger training effect than nsaids or ice. So again, I'd say go for it. If it makes you feel better, you might get under the bar sooner/perform better. And getting under the bar does have a big training effect. That's really the upshot of the whole deal: do what you need to do (within reason, of course) to keep training. What kind of liniment do you guys use at STRONG?

@FattButWeak: Thank you. I agree with pretty much everything tertius said.

A more personal note: if it weren't for aspirin and tylenol, I couldn't train as "heavy" as I do. I get DOMS fairly badly, especially in my hammies and glutes, and I have some degenerative joint disease, especially in my right knee. My back, neck and elbows tweak more easily than they used to.

If it weren't for aspirin and tylenol, I'd never have made it out of the novice progression.

Default Surgeon said no NSAIDs

Just had rotator cuff surgery four and a half weeks ago and the surgeon said no NSAIDs for at least six weeks.

Sounds like a surgeon to me.

I had my rotator cuff surgery 3 days ago. Surgeon said no nsaids for 48 hours, which makes more sense to than six weeks.

Neither one of them makes any sense. Hope you were getting something for pain.

Sorry, double post.
    Last edited by grichens; 09-03-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: dbl post

Quote Originally Posted by Sullydog View Post
    Neither one of them makes any sense. Hope you were getting something for pain.
    Yes. I don't have the surgical notes in front of me, but I understand the anesthetist used a nerve blocker via catheter inserted between the front of my trap and the collar bone. The anesthetic was localized to the joint and rotator cuff muscles and was continually dosed for three days post-op (out last Friday). Although the surgeon and anesthetist recommended oral pain killers to supplement the nerve blocker, the only other pain killer I took during that time was a single percocet in the recovery room due to the distention fluid still in my shoulder. I have not required any pain killers since the catheter was removed either - contrary to the surgeon's expectations.

Pain has been generally limited to shoulder joint movement (i.e., I have felt little/no pain at rest) - although it will sometimes ache a bit if I go around without my sling for too long. To me, some pain with movement is preferable to being completely numb as it diminishes the chance me doing something foolish. Overall, I have found the pain to be much less than I expected.

I understand that nsaids are to be avoided for the first 2 days post op to diminish bleeding. (I note in your article that you include acetaminophen as an nsaid - perhaps the anesthetist doesn't consider the dosage high enough in percocet to qualify.)

Update:
    Now have surgical notes - anesthesia was "interscalene regional block with indwelling postoperative pain pump catheter." Note: the function of the "pain pump" was not as it sounds.
    Last edited by grichens; 09-03-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: update

Finally got around to reading this article. Nothing surprising about the Starrett anti-icing stuff, but it really helped my understanding of what's actually going on when something is inflamed. Thanks.

I wonder what the anti-icing and anti-NSAID people have to say about fish oil. I haven't watched much MobilityWOD recently, but from what I remember, I think Starrett used to recommend that everybody take large quantities of the stuff. Aren't they COX-inhibitors too?

Sully

Can I ask a question that's a bit off topic but is probably of interest given your work?

I used to donate platelets a couple of years ago. 60 to 90 minute session every 4 to 8 weeks. When I got a disc bulge I stopped due to taking drugs like Diclofenac for 12 months. I started Starting Strength a year ago and have been meaning to start donating platelets again. Prior to platelet donation, I used to donate blood and found I fatigued quicker when running (no idea why). What's the effect on weight training of giving platelets, and what's the best way to mitigate this effect if it's negative? I'm 40 yrs old if it makes any difference.

Sorry if a bit vauge but searches on Google have yielded nothing, and I've got no idea what they do with platelets once they've got them either! I just have a feeling that it's generally a useful thing to do.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by fustuarium View Post
    /What's the effect on weight training of giving platelets, and what's the best way to mitigate this effect if it's negative? I'm 40 yrs old if it makes any difference.
    I'm not aware of any adverse effect. Just blowing smoke out my ass, I'd say it's probably a lot like training while taking an aspirin a day, as many of us geez types are wont to do. But I haven't seen any literature on the topic.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast