starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stopping the Spread of Misinflammation

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    in all sincerity, thank you for your contributions to this board and the strength/fitness community.

it would be an honor to meet you, Rip, Jordan, etc.
    That's the thing, isn't it.

One upside of the web is that schleps like me get access to such folks' brains, if only the bits that show themselves when they've idle doodling time. A downside is that it whets your appetite something fierce. And when one topic or another (or one side-splitting turn of phrase) makes you really want to go for a beer and get in deep, they're on the other bloody side of the continent. Or world.

Add my thanks. Among other things, when I parrot your various insights, it makes me appear really bright.

t

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    by Jonathon Sullivan

“The one thing everybody knows about inflammation, even your dog, is that it sucks. Your injured paw (or whatever) is hot, swollen, tender, and throbbing, and it doesn’t work so well. Chasing that squirrel just isn’t as interesting as it was a minute ago. Inflammation is nature’s way of saying: “You just f*cked up. Maybe you should stop and limp on home.”

Article

Resources page
    I started searching for this article after I found a citation to it in Sullivan's book on lifting when over 40. Does anyone know how this article has aged? Does scientific evidence now point in one direction as to whether taking an NSAID after experiencing DOMS significantly interferes with muscle growth?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Cross-posted from another thread, because it seemed relevant to readers of this article:

None of this. If I didn't take aspirin and tylenol, I would take ibuprofen and tylenol. The reason I take aspirin is because I'm 53. I take a daily 81mg aspirin to reduce my risk of cardio-cerebrovascular events. As should everybody over 45, unless they have a contraindication. Since I take aspirin daily anyway, and since ibuprofen appears to mess up the protective effect of aspirin, when I have pain, I just take more aspirin. For the young folk, either aspirin or ibuprofen will do nicely.

I have found that aspirin + tylenol will bitch-slap just about any pain I have, short of a gunshot wound, broken bone, full-thickness burn or my semi-biannual severe back tweak. I try to avoid these situations, but as an International Man of Mystery I find this is not always possible.
    Would you generally still prefer aspirin over naxproxen and ibuprofen for men over 45? When you wrote you this, I believe, taking aspirin to prevent heart attacks was more in vogue.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PRCalDude View Post
    First!

Xfitters like to do dumb in a big way.

Some of Kelly Starrett's stuff is pretty good, but he can't speak the english language and uses too many nonsense phrases. This is a glimpse into the future of communication in this country, I'm afraid to say. It reminds me of the way people spoke in Idiocracy.
    He also advocates spreading the knees wide while keeping the feet straight ahead while squatting - LOL

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234