starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Valsalva & Stroke

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just found this truly outstanding article. As an anaesthesiologist - or what we Brits call an anaesthetist - I loved the physiology and epidemiology stuff. As a fairly newbie bro I also loved the uncommon sense and advice not to drop the bar on my head. Can I add some "full-frontal nerdity" of my own about intra-thoracic gas volumes during the Valsalva manoeuvre.
    The average air volume in the lungs of an adult man at full inspiration is around 5.8 litres, at sea-level atmospheric pressure of 101 kPa (kilo Pascals). (The maths is easier in S.I units and all numbers were pulled from Wikipedia)
    The measured rise in intra-oral pressure, a proxy for intra-pleural pressure, during a Valsalva is around 40 mmHg = 5 kPa approx.
    Boyle's Law describes the relationship between the pressure P and volume V of a gas at any given temperature: P x V = constant K.
    Therefore the volume of gas in the lungs of an adult man during a Valsalva will change as follows: P1 x V1 = P2 x V2, where P1, V1 are at full inspiration and P2, V2 during the Valsalva
    Substituting the actual numbers gives 101 x 5.8 = (101 + 5) x V2 or V2 = 5.53 litres.
    I'm ignoring any potential change in thoracic volumes due to a shift in the position of the diaphragm caused by possible changes in intra-abdominal volume or due to contraction of muscles of the thoracic cage but there will be a theoretical reduction of around 5% in intra-thoracic volume when we perform a Valsalva.
    I'm going to keep on grunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Carlton View Post
    Just found this truly outstanding article. As an anaesthesiologist - or what we Brits call an anaesthetist - I loved the physiology and epidemiology stuff. As a fairly newbie bro I also loved the uncommon sense and advice not to drop the bar on my head. Can I add some "full-frontal nerdity" of my own about intra-thoracic gas volumes during the Valsalva manoeuvre.
    The average air volume in the lungs of an adult man at full inspiration is around 5.8 litres, at sea-level atmospheric pressure of 101 kPa (kilo Pascals). (The maths is easier in S.I units and all numbers were pulled from Wikipedia)
    The measured rise in intra-oral pressure, a proxy for intra-pleural pressure, during a Valsalva is around 40 mmHg = 5 kPa approx.
    Boyle's Law describes the relationship between the pressure P and volume V of a gas at any given temperature: P x V = constant K.
    Therefore the volume of gas in the lungs of an adult man during a Valsalva will change as follows: P1 x V1 = P2 x V2, where P1, V1 are at full inspiration and P2, V2 during the Valsalva
    Substituting the actual numbers gives 101 x 5.8 = (101 + 5) x V2 or V2 = 5.53 litres.
    I'm ignoring any potential change in thoracic volumes due to a shift in the position of the diaphragm caused by possible changes in intra-abdominal volume or due to contraction of muscles of the thoracic cage but there will be a theoretical reduction of around 5% in intra-thoracic volume when we perform a Valsalva.
    I'm going to keep on grunting.
    Wouldn't the volume actually increase due to the increase in temperature from 20 C to 37 C?

P1*V1/T1=P2*V2/T2 because the number of gas molecules (n) is fixed. Or perhaps n would change due to the CO2/O2 exchange taking place. But I'm no doctor.

starting strength coach development program
    Franklie,

as air moves into the lungs it warms up to 37C and stays there whether you're at full inspiration or during a Valsalva.
    My original post suggested a 5% reduction in air volume but there's a lot more in the chest than just air: heart, blood vessels, lung tissue and other giblets so the actual reduction in volume of the chest might be only 2-3%. Not that it matters, I just wanted to do the maths.

Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123