starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form check

Default Squat Form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

Here is another video of my squat. I wanted to post in my old thread, but it was closed. This is 260 lbs compared to 235 lbs in my older vid. For me, it still looks like I am losing tightness at the bottom and still lack of hip drive. Still feeling some pain in my lower back. Maybe it could be from not keeping the back tight enough. What else can you critique about my form? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65RrS...e_gdata_player

You are essentially doing a high bar squat, although you may be carrying the bar in the low bar position. I can't quite tell. Have you read the third edition of Starting Strength? Talk to me about how far your knees are in front of your toes, your torso angle, your depth, and your gaze direction.

Yes, I have read it. I haven't changed any major detail from my last squat video. The things I have changed for this video is I have a more narrow grip, I make sure that my hips go below knees for depth, I tried making it a smoother movement without a pause at the bottom, and I tried keeping my chin down looking at a spot a few feet ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by lmram View Post
    I tried keeping my chin down looking at a spot a few feet ahead of me.
    As Yoda was heard to remark, "Do or do not. There is no try."

Keep your chin down. Actually, keep it down. Put something on the floor in front of you too look at. Drive your knees out more. Initiate the movement with your hips, not your chest.

Ok, i will focus on looking down and hip drive next session and see how it goes from there. Thanks again for the help.

By the way, would you recommend I stop moving up weight and fix these form issues first or is it ok to keep moving up weight?

starting strength coach development program
    I cannot see if your back is flexing in the video, but you don't appear to be doing anything dangerous or injurious. I would bet that if you were to do a correct low bar squat that you might need a little less weight on the bar to get the hang of it. It all depends upon your goals. You can certainly keep adding weight, just realize you are doing a high bar squat. If that is not the goal, then I would make the form changes and use a weight that allows you to do the movement correctly.