starting strength gym

Thread: lumbar flexion post injury - Accessory work?

Default lumbar flexion post injury - Accessory work?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello.

40 YO male, 6'-1", 195#

From symptoms, it appears as though I injured disks in the L4/L5 region in 2013, through improper deadlift form. Much nerve pain initially. Visits to PT and chiropractor got me straightened out, for the most part. After 6 months or better off deadlifting and squatting, I worked them back into my program. I bend over differently since that injury, and seem to be somewhat flexion intolerant. However, I can setup for the deadlift with no problem now.

I am currently following the 5-3-1 program with not much accessory work (bbb lifts if time permits). Current 5 Rep max on squat is 265, Deadlift 295. Deadlift has been climbing well on this program, but squat gains have been slower. I recently tried to do some hanging leg raises as accessory work (for the "core"). Those seemed to cause some lumbar flexion because my back felt "funny" but no nerve pain.

Curious about opinions and experience on this: should a person try to work through some of these (assistance) exercises to try to improve lumbar flexion, and possibly facilitate further healing in that region? Or just keep deadlifting with proper form and avoid flexion where possible?

I would just keep squatting and deadlifting. Don't worry about wiggling your back around with disc injuries. Getting good at keeping the spine in place is more useful and will help to prevent injury at this point. Don't be afraid to buy and read Practical Programming from Rip. You may find some useful programming ideas in there that make you adjust and or re-think 5/3/1.

Thanks Tom. That's a good idea.