starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe You Should GAIN Weight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I sort of ran SS years ago (had to get hernias repaired, re-ran program, back injury not from weight-lifting, re-ran program, etc). Kept GOMAD for way too long, and went from single digit body fat at 130 (I'm 6'1") to close to 25% bodyfat at 194. My gut grew to almost 38", which was bigger than my wife's when she was pregnant. So yeah, I was a super skinny guy that got sloppy fat.

I'm currently 6'1", 175lbs, and am starting SS again since I haven't touched heavy weights in over a year. Gonna pay more attention to diet this time around. I want to hit 200-220 by the year's end. Figure a couple pounds a week till April, and then 2-4lbs a month after that should do it.
    did you keep a log? I'm wondering how much your lifts went up. If you have time I'm interested in how much strenth you gained.

(I'm 6'1") to close to 25% bodyfat at 194. My gut grew to almost 38", which was bigger than my wife's when she was pregnant. So yeah, I was a super skinny guy that got sloppy fat.
    Aaron, I hate to break this to you, but being 6'1" with ALMOST a 38 inch belly at 194 lbs isn't "sloppy fat" by any stretch of the imagination. It is however a body image artifact of being wildly underweight most of your life. No idea where your lifts were but if they were on track then you had basically hit the point where you should have titrated back down a bit to whatever gut measurement you feel happy about.

On top of that you only "sort of" ran the program while doing GOMAD. You can't claim "I am the counter-example" when by your own admission, you weren't doing the thing in question, the program and high calories.

Using women's measurements even while pregnant as a point of comparison is silly. My daughter had a 10 pound son and still never exceeded my measurements, know why? Because she is a tiny female and I am a large male.

My feet are bigger than hers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    did you keep a log? I'm wondering how much your lifts went up. If you have time I'm interested in how much strenth you gained.
    I have multiple written logs. One of my logs ended with a triple hernia repair (only reached a 245lb squat). I re-ran SS months after surgery (with ~1/2 GOMAD), and only reached a 125lbx3 press, 275x3 squat, 315lb DL before hurting my lowering back playing football with friends. At which point I went on a cut because I got sick of relatives and co-workers saying my belly looked fat (I was probably close to 25% bf at this point). So to answer your question, I didn't gain enough strength to say that I properly ran SS, but I sure got fat along the way.

Greywar, I only brought up my example to answer Keith's question as to whether or not there examples of skinny guys getting sloppy fat on SS. Granted I didn't exhaust my LP gains, but eating 4000-45000 cals a day was making me gain a very high amount of fat. There's a big difference between being 194 @25% bf and 194 @15% bf (almost 20lbs of lean mass). Hopefully I can do much better with my LP and fat gain this go around.

I sort of ran SS years ago (had to get hernias repaired, re-ran program, back injury not from weight-lifting, re-ran program, etc). Kept GOMAD for way too long, and went from single digit body fat at 130 (I'm 6'1") to close to 25% bodyfat at 194. My gut grew to almost 38", which was bigger than my wife's when she was pregnant. So yeah, I was a super skinny guy that got sloppy fat.
    I think you may misunderstand what "sloppy fat" entails.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy5000 View Post
    You know what - it was the best advice I got.
    Thank you Mr. Tom Campitelli.
    Glad the advice turned out to be useful.

Just noticed the before and after pics of Campitelli... wow! Definitely proof that bigger is better... the before pic is a little scary

220*0.8=176

198 would put me at 10%. I haven't seen veins in my abs since XC ski racing season of 2015.

I have multiple written logs. One of my logs ended with a triple hernia repair (only reached a 245lb squat). I re-ran SS months after surgery (with ~1/2 GOMAD), and only reached a 125lbx3 press, 275x3 squat, 315lb DL before hurting my lowering back playing football with friends. At which point I went on a cut because I got sick of relatives and co-workers saying my belly looked fat (I was probably close to 25% bf at this point). So to answer your question, I didn't gain enough strength to say that I properly ran SS, but I sure got fat along the way.

Greywar, I only brought up my example to answer Keith's question as to whether or not there examples of skinny guys getting sloppy fat on SS. Granted I didn't exhaust my LP gains, but eating 4000-45000 cals a day was making me gain a very high amount of fat. There's a big difference between being 194 @25% bf and 194 @15% bf (almost 20lbs of lean mass). Hopefully I can do much better with my LP and fat gain this go around.
    How did you get the hernia?

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    How did you get the hernia?
    According to my surgeon, I was born with a triple hernia (umbilical, two inguinal), and discovered their existence over the course of weightlifting. He said if I had never lifted weights I would have probably discovered their existence when I was older and coughed or sneezed.

After the initial examination took place my surgeon proclaimed, "Trifecta!" Never seen a doctor so excited to find a problem in a patient before lol.

When I was 17 years old I weighed about 140lb (5' 10"). Today I'm almost 34 years old, and I weigh 146lb. I used to think that maintaining that "lean" weight was good. I used to think I was strong for my weight because once in college I benched 180lb at 140lb. More recently I believed the type of crappy advice that lead me to do a ton of push ups and curls with 25lb dumbbells.

But I don't want to weigh 146lb any more. Up until recently everything I knew about fitness told me that my light weight was just fine, even desirable. Before I started reading and listening to Rip no one told me I was too light.

I've been on the Starting Strength program for about a month or so. I started light but am making progress. I'm trying to eating more and more and drink more and more milk. I'm up about 3-4 pounds in the few weeks I've kept track.

starting strength coach development program
    https://startingstrengthonlinecoaching.com/

Think about it. It will help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast