starting strength gym

Thread: One of the Most Underrated Strength Exercises You Can Do

Default One of the Most Underrated Strength Exercises You Can Do

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

The deadlift is a very simple exercise that basically involves picking a barbell up off the ground and setting it back down. It’s a bit more involved than that – most everything is, and despite the fact that some fitness chains have decided to sell memberships by making fun of it, the deadlift is one of the most basic and useful strength exercises in the gym.

Read Article

I have a basic question. I'm 47 and not very fit, but I'm not completely gone. I'd like to know if there is any reason not to do trap bar deadlifts instead of barbell deadlifts if I just want to get a bit stronger. I don't need to know about the other exercises you could do with a basic barbell, because those are a lot more skilled. I just want to pick up something heavy. I'm thinking about doing this a few times a week, and not even very many reps. Anything is more than I do now, so I figure whatever I add will be beneficial.

And one other question... I've heard that people should shoot to be able to deadlift twice their bodyweight. Is that for athletes though? What about the average person?

Quote Originally Posted by jkeiffer View Post
    I have a basic question. I'm 47 and not very fit, but I'm not completely gone. I'd like to know if there is any reason not to do trap bar deadlifts instead of barbell deadlifts if I just want to get a bit stronger. I don't need to know about the other exercises you could do with a basic barbell, because those are a lot more skilled. I just want to pick up something heavy. I'm thinking about doing this a few times a week, and not even very many reps. Anything is more than I do now, so I figure whatever I add will be beneficial.

I am your exact age, and I was a mess when I started lifting. There's no need to go straight to "anything is better than nothing", when you can do something awesome. Go get the book. You can do it.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by m_sporkboy View Post
    There's no need to go straight to "anything is better than nothing", when you can do something awesome.
    I'm stealing this!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    I'm stealing this!
    That may be the first time an SSC thought I said something that wasn't stupid.