starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People don't get this kind of workout stuff

Default People don't get this kind of workout stuff

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Does anyone else have something like the following exchanges?

Friend or family member - "You look like you've put on some weight."

Me - "Yeah, about 10 pounds, intentionally this time, along with this weight training program."

Friend - "Oh, cool" OR just "Oh." or change subject.

End of conversation.

I have seen exchanges where it's jogging or water aerobics or Zumba and they go on longer.

I am well past the point of needing confirmation of what I am doing, but find that, in general, people just don't get this, especially if they are over 50 like me. Just wondering if this is common among my fellow travelers.

Yeah, very very few people care that you lift weights. As a general rule I make the assumption that no one cares about my hobbies, because they probably don't.

Quote Originally Posted by gnk View Post
    End of conversation.
    You are a lucky sod.
    Usually, the retort is more like: "Why do you want to be stronger, what's the use of it?".

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Usually, the retort is more like: "Why do you want to be stronger, what's the use of it?".
    (meanwhile they think in their head: "this guy is compensating for something" )

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    You are a lucky sod.
    "Because not dying on the job is cool."

"lifting all that weight isn't healthy. you should start running instead"

We're all a little weird in that we like talking about lifting weights because we love doing it. But to most people it's like talking about grass growing. It's pretty dull if you're not into it yourself.

It's funny to read the replies - and to see that I am part of a group getting the same kind of reaction. Makes this forum a rare place of common interest - especially for those north of 40 (or whatever the magic age would be).

Quote Originally Posted by gnk View Post
    It's funny to read the replies - and to see that I am part of a group getting the same kind of reaction. Makes this forum a rare place of common interest - especially for those north of 40 (or whatever the magic age would be).
    That's one of the best things about the Internet, like minded people can talk about their hobby of choice. It's especially handy for folks that have a hobby that not a lot of friends or coworkers participate in. Doesn't seem hard to find people to talk about hunting or fishing with but lifting weights = *crickets chirping*

starting strength coach development program
    Depends where you live I guess. I live in a mountain resort area where almost everyone is into fitness of some type. There's 20k people in my town and 7+ gyms. 1/2 of my coworkers work out and one is a competitive crossfit coach so we had interesting conversations at work.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast