starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Barbell Row

Default The Barbell Row

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

Mark Rippetoe demonstrates the barbell row, a useful assistance exercise for intermediate and advanced lifters.​

Watch video

Great vid! Thanks for sharing.

Awesome Video Rip. I have never performed rows with each rep from the floor which always kept an unpleasant, constant strain on my back and knees. This seems like a much safer way than my previous experience which would also allow me to get far more weight in the pull. I am still amazed at 46 how much stronger I am as well as smarter from all of the info you and your team post.

Sparky

Great video. Very timely, started Rows about 2 months ago on light pulling day due to inability to rack a clean and elbow issues that needed to heal...putting chins on hold for a while.

It is great seeing Rip move weight. I'm not sure why it's such a thrill.

I am gobsmacked how different that Row is to the one I have been pussyfooting around with. I've been doing a type of rows which seem to be completely different animals. Flat back, no torso movement, no knee or hip extension....and a tremendous lack of weight moved and therefore a tremendous lack of progress.

Time to try this version out.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 08-25-2017 at 12:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Doesn't look like a terribly useful exercise at all. Chin up seems to be a far better thing to do.

How do you make chins work your lower back and hips? Incrementally? But this is a very brave comment. Truth to power!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How do you make chins work your lower back and hips? Incrementally? But this is a very brave comment. Truth to power!
    RDL and SLDL. Unlike a row, they are trainable with a larger ROM and have specificity w.r.t. deadlift

I'd invite you to reconsider. How is a light out-of-position deadlift-like pull specific to the deadlift any more than a row, which is really just an assistance exercise for lats and grip?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I'd invite you to reconsider. How is a light out-of-position deadlift-like pull specific to the deadlift any more than a row, which is really just an assistance exercise for lats and grip?
    I'm just an intermediate doing HLM, Mark. I find it to be more productive to do chin-ups on light day and SLDL on medium day for pulls. The main pull being the deadlift. I was coming from that perspective.

But a barbell row does look like the less fortunate cousin of a powerclean, given the sudden acceleration in concentric, the less controlled eccentric and the fact that it's a pull. Difficult to judge, less muscle mass involved, less range of motion that tends to decrease as the reps progress, not very trainable over a long period of time etc. May be the advanced lifters find it to be useful. But where my ability stands, it's not too useful. It makes sense for me to stick to basic lifts and variants of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast