starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strength Training for Golf

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    My n=1 experience.

My 77 year old father, who was naturally just a good athlete, played in the Minors, all county basketball player, can still smash the shit out of a golf ball.

Not only that, he is naturally left handed batting/golfing but learned to golf right handed because he could only get ahold of a right handed set.

He never really "lifted" in his life.. just does light machine work now to stay flexible/mobile.

I noticed no improvement in my distance before and after lifting and getting stronger.
    Hitting a golf ball far isn't just about strength and being good at golf isn't just about distance. Some of the longest hitters on tour are 150lbs and can't deadlift their weight. Well maybe a slight exaggeration. But It is an extremely technical skill to create the proper sequencing to generate the swing speed and timing along with skill to repeat and hit the clubface over and over an over again so that you wear out a spot the size of a dime. Squats and Deadlifts aren't going to improve that. BUT, many of the muscle groups involved in swinging a golf club 110-120mph are the muscles that stabilize the spine, hip flexors, legs etc etc. Typical golf trainers use silly "core" routines that I know are complete rubbish. It's sad to see it. So for me, this routine, getting stronger in compound barbell lifts, building as strong a lower back, legs, hips, will help me in many many ways. I'll be healthier, stronger, have more stamina and endurance and more stability and awareness of position because of the demands of the program to do the same with lifts. Maybe it's silly, but fuck it, I'm doing it.

I've personally seen it already. It may be silly that I have a goal to Dead 400 and squat 300 to improve my golf. Laughable goals by the standards here, but I'm going to do it, and it will improve my golf because I will be stronger where it matters most, and I will be skilled in applying that strength.

I am very surprised of the anecdotal evidence presented in this thread regarding no increase in driving distance after gaining strength.

Personally, I came out of high school with a 4 handicap weighing an impressive 145lbs and a drive distance of probably 260 yards. Since strength training and putting on weight it has made a noticeable difference in my driving distance. Currently I weigh 195lbs and can hit a golf ball 300+ yards off the tee. Due to having to be an adult and not golfing 4+ times per week, it can even be frustrating playing with my new found strength. I find myself hitting past greens and through fairways on the courses I grew up playing.

Look at the guys that compete in the Long Drive Competitions; Joe Miller is the first to come to mind. They are much bigger than the average donk on the driving range. Increasing club head speed is nuanced but I find it hard to believe (logically and from my own experience) that putting on weight and strength would not increase every player's ability to hit the ball farther.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejackson View Post
    I am very surprised of the anecdotal evidence presented in this thread regarding no increase in driving distance after gaining strength.

Personally, I came out of high school with a 4 handicap weighing an impressive 145lbs and a drive distance of probably 260 yards. Since strength training and putting on weight it has made a noticeable difference in my driving distance. Currently I weigh 195lbs and can hit a golf ball 300+ yards off the tee. Due to having to be an adult and not golfing 4+ times per week, it can even be frustrating playing with my new found strength. I find myself hitting past greens and through fairways on the courses I grew up playing.

Look at the guys that compete in the Long Drive Competitions; Joe Miller is the first to come to mind. They are much bigger than the average donk on the driving range. Increasing club head speed is nuanced but I find it hard to believe (logically and from my own experience) that putting on weight and strength would not increase every player's ability to hit the ball farther.
    It is true that long drive competitions are loaded with real big dudes (I mean jacked)....who obviously train and presumably lift. That would be easy to confirm.

What you failed to reveal to the uninitiated, is that between the time you were 150lbs and until you became an adult, the technology, especially of the ball and the driver was significantly advanced. This includes optimization of launch angles and ball spin. Just gaining weight could account for part of it. You nowhave 45 lbs + of additional mass and force is generally m x v(squared).

However, applied strength in golf has an effect which I am seeing because I have not changed technology in a decade. But my swing is not the same and other factors are not the same and course conditions vary widely. It's sort of voodoo.

OTOH.....the appearance of Tiger on the scene and his obvious commitment to fitness and great length, strongly changed the landscape. guys now are not all that BIG, but they are very fit, tall, and pretty strong. PLus they are totally dialed in to technology in a way that is almost inaccessible to the rest of us.

Also....Tiger just compete in the Honda classic. His swing speed was clocked after multiple back and knee surgeries, near the top of the heap which includes some very long hitters in their '20s. I am pretty impressed as this takes mobility as well as strength and hard to believe that fusions and fixation doesn't adversely affect.

In an interview afterwards he was asked how he would build on this Honda experience since his sights are really on the majors (Masters). He responded that he was going to work on getting stronger. Strength seems to be a more precious commodity to him than just about anything else right now.

As far as driving distance goes, there is a lot to be said for Trackman. I am told USGA now looking at dialing back on the ball.....something advocated by Nicklaus and palmer for decades.

starting strength coach development program
    I doubt John Daly trained but he could hit it farther than Tiger.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12