starting strength gym

Thread: Back Pain and Back Strength

Default Back Pain and Back Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

There are times when The Conventional Wisdom and The Reality of the Situation are at odds. Our recent presidential election provides a poignant example, as does the idea that running makes you skinny, that little kids always tell the truth, and that we have to pass another law so you'll stop doing things we don't like.

Read Article

Great article As a herniated disc person I find it a very empowering read.

" although regularly and progressively loaded bones and discs are denser and more resilient than the soft bones and discs of a sedentary person – but you can improve the ability of the muscles that support it to do their job."

I found this very interesting. Are you saying that squats and deadlifts will make my discs "stronger"?

Do discs gain density at the expnese of their size? (do they get denser but thinner?)

If there is any literature on this topic, please pleas share

I know of no literature that addresses this particular question, and I seriously doubt it exists or will ever exist.

Thank you for sharing. This is beyond wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by ViktorPrlja View Post
    If there is any literature on this topic, please pleas share
    This is the only paper I'm aware of on the topic of disk adaptation to exercise, although it's specific to running.

Running exercise strengthens the intervertebral disc | Scientific Reports

I am a testament to this. I have Spondilolysis and the less I exercise the worse it gets. When I started doing squats it hurt worse for 4-6 weeks but then went away. Right now I am pain free and squated 195 3x5 this morning. The hardest part was to push through the pain for the 6 weeks.

am I eating crazy pills or is/was there a video of Rip demonstrating the lifting belt rack decompression? Can't find it for the life of me

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    am I eating crazy pills or is/was there a video of Rip demonstrating the lifting belt rack decompression? Can't find it for the life of me
    Something along these lines? Lumbar Decompression in the gym - a question

No video, but some descriptions...

That thread's over a decade old, mind you. This may be one of those things where Rip's recommendations have changed with time and experience, like having front squats in the program.

Was reading this thread and I posted above, July 22 of 2017. I was squating 195 3x5. I just finished my day one workout for the week and I am squating 295 3x5. I have had back pain come and go but I just deal with it and keep going.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    Was reading this thread and I posted above, July 22 of 2017. I was squating 195 3x5. I just finished my day one workout for the week and I am squating 295 3x5. I have had back pain come and go but I just deal with it and keep going.
    Well done, Matthew, keep it up.