starting strength gym

Thread: Strength is Money in the Bank

Default Strength is Money in the Bank

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

Physical strength is like money in the bank, in that it enables you to do the things you want to do with your body. Work, play sports, hunt and fish, and be physically independent well into your later years – physical strength is the basis of all these things.*

Read article

Excellent article, Rip. (Speaking as one who has just celebrated his 65th b'day and has no intention of settling into a rocking chair anytime soon. I take my iron regularly but not in the form of a pill.)

As Kevin Costner's character "Charley Waite" so aptly said in the movie "Open Range":

Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying.

I just dropped my gym membership yesterday, 300 dollar cancellation fee for my wife and I. I wasn't even mad, it was the greatest feeling ever. I was lucky enough to came across a rack, plates, dumbbells, jump box ( for the stereo), and I already have a bench and B&R bar. My wife and I trained at home for the first time last night . We were also lucky enough to come across SS a few years ago. We now have all we need to build strength and save money at home. 300 bucks now, but a lifetime of savings. If you don't have a home setup do consider. Stop giving these gyms your money.

Strength training has changed everything in my life for the better. I am happier, when I do things it is easier. I hunt and fish regularly, even with my mediocre strength gains I can now go further and carry more gear with guys who live in the mountains. Thanks!

Default Strength and Money in the Bank

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    by Mark Rippetoe

Physical strength is like money in the bank, in that it enables you to do the things you want to do with your body. Work, play sports, hunt and fish, and be physically independent well into your later years – physical strength is the basis of all these things.*

Read article
    There is another angle, and it is that of cost avoidance. I figure if I spend, say $2500 each year in gym fees, equipment, travel and registration at a couple of competitions, etc., and that year of strength training pushes forward that day ... or eliminates it entirely ... when I have to start shelling out $75,000 or better per year to be a zombie at a geezer warehouse, the I've made a pretty good return on my effort and investment.

I turn 72 years old tomorrow and did a no-shit low-bar squat PR of 365 lbs today. I fully intend to squat 400 lbs this summer. By the time I hit 80-years old, I ought to be pretty good at this strength stuff. See you at StrengthCon.

“Unless you plan to get killed, you’d better plan for getting older.” Brilliant.