starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Prescription of Strength Training For Treating Depression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I’m going through it bad now. The thing about depression is that exercise is the last thing you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfly View Post
    I’m going through it bad now. The thing about depression is that exercise is the last thing you want to do.
    Make your training times as happy and convenient as possible. Music play lists are very important. What do you need to hear right now? Invest in whatever you need to make this work for you.

When over-stressed, over worked, over-tired and all the other bad that sometimes accumulates to a bad state of mind occurs, I am reminded of a principle I learned in cycling training. Take your barbells for a walk. (OK they said "bicycle" but they didn't know any better)

Instead of skipping, like you were going to do, plan a light day and do what you can. You'll be in better shape for your next workout day in the cycle. Half of life is just showing up.

The regeneration you get from a workout is worth it. Sure, it is best to be aggressive, go hard. But rather than not show up at all... do what you can. I find I get myself back on track sooner and better by showing up consistently. Usually, I'll go hard anyway, once I'm caught up in the music and lifts.

The source of the problem is usually found in
    The First Three Questions

Even though this article is pointed at being "stuck" at a weight. The answers above become important to this topic because mood often adversely affects sleep and diet, which affects recovery. And not being recovered, is commonly why we don't want to do that "next workout". IMHO.

Good luck!

Good advice, Cheesepuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cromega View Post
    Yeah, if you are depressed, lifting weights will make you feel better. Yoga will also make you feel better. So will taking a walk, meditating, laughing, playing music, going to church and a slew of other things. To actually get better, instead of just feeling better, you'll do better with some cognitive restructuring as described by Ellis in the appropriately named book "Feeling better, getting better, staying better."

The following is a more interesting question. Does getting rid of depression, anxiety, and associated sleep disorders improve recovery and adaptation in strength training? Of course it does, because sleeping better improves recovery. So, it seems odd to me that we obsess about every millimeter of deviation from perfect form in the stress part of the "stress-recovery-adaptation" cycle. While the recovery advice boils down to "eat one gram of protein for each pound of your eeight, and get 8 hours of sleep." This would be equivalent to teaching the deadlift by saying "bend down and pick up the weight."

In his "Barbell Prescription Book" Sully devotes only two pages to how to improve sleep. This is not enough instruction for such an important part of the training program.

I suspect newer editions of book would likely include such instruction as there are now many tools in the hands of consumers to evaluate sleep with accuracy beginning to approach that of sleep labs.

Also,in futher editions I'd like to see more on nutrition including the effects of fasting, TRF, and other things related to nutrition and excerise, and sleep, and light/dark cycles....ie circadian rythms.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    I suspect newer editions of book would likely include such instruction as there are now many tools in the hands of consumers to evaluate sleep with accuracy beginning to approach that of sleep labs.

Also,in futher editions I'd like to see more on nutrition including the effects of fasting, TRF, and other things related to nutrition and excerise, and sleep, and light/dark cycles....ie circadian rythms.
    Those are subjects for their own books, by authors who are experts in those areas.

Not going to incorporate an entire anatomy text inside Starting Strength either, despite the suggestions of some.

starting strength coach development program
    I loved this article, and, echoing others, have experienced it personally. Not that I came back from deep depression, rather that lifting has reinforced the feeling that I look good and can do anything. "Emotional Gains" are a huge component of lifting, along with "hardening the brain" against the battle with dementia.
    More on this subject PLEASE, Dr. Puder, and how can I help?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12