starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Prescription of Strength Training For Treating Depression

Default The Prescription of Strength Training For Treating Depression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by David Puder and Amul Shah

When I prescribe strength training for my depressed patients, they are often surprised. They have never heard of the relationship between physical strength and psychological well-being.

Read article

I don't think about it much now, but before I started training, I would get long and, sometimes, quite severe bouts of depression. This was especially true during the winter months. I've been on meds for depression before, but they had side effects - especially when you're getting off them.

Although I still get a hint of depression now and then, I can say that I'm pretty much "cured" of depression. The only side effect is a 500+ lb deadlift. I can live with that.

Nothing in the world better for my mental health than heavy lifting. Anxiety, general nervousness about things, stress, etc. just leaves my body as I challenge myself under the barbell. It really is the best “medicine”.

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    I don't think about it much now, but before I started training, I would get long and, sometimes, quite severe bouts of depression. This was especially true during the winter months. I've been on meds for depression before, but they had side effects - especially when you're getting off them.

Although I still get a hint of depression now and then, I can say that I'm pretty much "cured" of depression. The only side effect is a 500+ lb deadlift. I can live with that.
    That's awesome.

Yeah, if you are depressed, lifting weights will make you feel better. Yoga will also make you feel better. So will taking a walk, meditating, laughing, playing music, going to church and a slew of other things. To actually get better, instead of just feeling better, you'll do better with some cognitive restructuring as described by Ellis in the appropriately named book "Feeling better, getting better, staying better."

The following is a more interesting question. Does getting rid of depression, anxiety, and associated sleep disorders improve recovery and adaptation in strength training? Of course it does, because sleeping better improves recovery. So, it seems odd to me that we obsess about every millimeter of deviation from perfect form in the stress part of the "stress-recovery-adaptation" cycle. While the recovery advice boils down to "eat one gram of protein for each pound of your eeight, and get 8 hours of sleep." This would be equivalent to teaching the deadlift by saying "bend down and pick up the weight."

In his "Barbell Prescription Book" Sully devotes only two pages to how to improve sleep. This is not enough instruction for such an important part of the training program.

A big part of overcoming depression for me was defeating the negative internal messaging. Add in the physical feedback; fatigue, malaise, discomfort. LP combats this mechanic. Most folks can relate to the feeling of days without accomplishment that pile onto weeks onto months. I was able to battle that mindset with the discipline of the linear progression. Start at a weight I could do. Add 5 lbs. Do it again. Piling on acquires a new meaning. The feedback is raw CNS; the rush of completing a heavy set of 5 squat and DL I weren't 100% sure I could hit. After 6 mos on the program; I'd like to think I not only reprogrammed the machinery but also a lot of the mind.

The Barbell Prescription is no joke.

Excellent and important article by Dr's Puder and Shah. Hope it gets shared widely.

Can't wait for cromega's book to come out.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie Rochester View Post
    A big part of overcoming depression for me was defeating the negative internal messaging. Add in the physical feedback; fatigue, malaise, discomfort. LP combats this mechanic. Most folks can relate to the feeling of days without accomplishment that pile onto weeks onto months. I was able to battle that mindset with the discipline of the linear progression. Start at a weight I could do. Add 5 lbs. Do it again. Piling on acquires a new meaning. The feedback is raw CNS; the rush of completing a heavy set of 5 squat and DL I weren't 100% sure I could hit. After 6 mos on the program; I'd like to think I not only reprogrammed the machinery but also a lot of the mind.

The Barbell Prescription is no joke.
    I'm not sure if I've ever actually fallen into the definition of clinical depression, but I have had symptoms of it. What is clear is that I spent a long time being easily upset and angered. Weight training was the only thing that brought me out of it, on a more or less permanent basis.

I've said before that I think the mental changes due to training often far exceed those of the physical changes, for exactly the reasons stated here^. That's definitely true for me, and I know it's true for a lot of the people who have testified on this forum.

I wish this conversation was expanded to more than just typical major depressive disorder. I find that the greatest advantage is weight training's positive impact on anxiety and other intermittent mood disorders. I don't know what is messed up in my head, but I will sometimes have rushing emotions that makes me feel - metaphorically - like I'm in a hurricane. Lifting provides something to focus on. Iron is very quickly becoming my best friend.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree with the article overall. I have one nitpick about a section: Isn't writing a prescription for the personal trainer to teach the big 4 being disingenuous? I'm sure you know that the overwhelming majority of personal trainers are not capable of teaching them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast