starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Progressive Exercise Science Community Embarrasses Itself Again

Default The Progressive Exercise Science Community Embarrasses Itself Again

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

A couple of times every month, the mainstream media decides to be helpful by bringing you the exercise science community’s latest innovative investigations into fitness. This gives the informed reader a chance to see what these people do all day in their classrooms, laboratories, and conference rooms. As a pair of recent examples will show, their recommendations must be examined more carefully than the mainstream media often does.

Read article

This was a good article. Modern day examples with clear explanation of why these studies are so poor.

Oregon State is back again...I'm embarrassed to say this is my alma mater. (FWIW, I was in the engineering program)

Oregon Professors Blame Fitness Coaches For Supporting 'Fat Oppression'

Excerpt:

"To fix this, they encourage fitness coaches to engage in “self-compassion exercises.” By becoming more compassionate towards themselves — such as through “affectionate breathing” or keeping a personal journal -- fitness coaches would, ideally, become more compassionate towards their clients. No word on how these “affectionate breathing” exercises will help clients get more fit and healthy, though."

Be right back, have some breathing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Jackson View Post
    Oregon State is back again...I'm embarrassed to say this is my alma mater. (FWIW, I was in the engineering program)

Oregon Professors Blame Fitness Coaches For Supporting 'Fat Oppression'

Excerpt:

"To fix this, they encourage fitness coaches to engage in “self-compassion exercises.” By becoming more compassionate towards themselves — such as through “affectionate breathing” or keeping a personal journal -- fitness coaches would, ideally, become more compassionate towards their clients. No word on how these “affectionate breathing” exercises will help clients get more fit and healthy, though."

Be right back, have some breathing to do.
    I could convince myself that was satire if I didn't work in academia myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemeyer View Post
    I could convince myself that was satire if I didn't work in academia myself.
    I also have a job in academia.....even though part time, it's pretty hard to take the PC.

We even have a new Dean of Inclusive Excellence.....really.

How do you guys go to work every day and act like this stupid shit somehow matters?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How do you guys go to work every day and act like this stupid shit somehow matters?
    The short answer is I love my job and I very rarely have to put up with stupid shit. My department is very collegial, and my immediate bosses, in my opinion, have the best interests of our students and staff at heart. I'm also not afraid to voice my opinions to anyone.

The long answer will have to wait until I'm able to attend a seminar or other SS function. I'll remind you of this conversation and bring some booze.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    I also have a job in academia.....even though part time, it's pretty hard to take the PC.

We even have a new Dean of Inclusive Excellence.....really.
    A committee for the prevention/resolution of hazing and bullying was recently formed on my campus. It's for faculty on the receiving end of hazing/bullying, not students. Yes, I'm serious.

First of all.....they are the vanguard of progressivism.....a religion. It requires the deconstruction of all previous knowledge and trradition......and convolutional arguments are promulgated in the academic redoubts but never subject those arguments to analysis.....only theory based group think. As Orwell put it replacing one piece of nonsense with another. It has spawned a quasi criminal enterprise with useful idiot frontmen.

The theories are presented as fact and students are indoctrinated and reeducated as if they were in Laos. Survival requires conformity by the intolerant tolerant. An entire pseudoscientific edifice has arisen to mislead the public....who are also shamed and intimidated......and capitulate to the fervor and strongman tactics of the faithful.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemeyer View Post
    A committee for the prevention/resolution of hazing and bullying was recently formed on my campus. It's for faculty on the receiving end of hazing/bullying, not students. Yes, I'm serious.
    I repeat my question.

starting strength coach development program
    I repeat my question.
    OK...it's a job. Since not FTE I have certain liberties and ability to melt into the background. Sometimes they wake up and discover I exist and then I have to make a choice.....

Most times the choice is tolerable but just biding my time and trying actually to make a difference where it is possible. I am lucky to be in medical science ( a step or two below the hard sciences) but even then the boundary between any science and social science (the proxy for reeducation process) is now so blurred as to be often of no worth. fMRI is a hellish invention.......

Now..the fact that I am not far from retirement make s much of this bearable.

My wife and I just live for the opportunity to schedule and attend our SS coached training session...as it seems one of the best medicine for the onslaught of identity politics, California legislators, and the fact that many of my neighbors do not speak English.

Please don't bogart that joint....my friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast