starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein

Default Protein

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

The New York Times has a vested interest in maintaining the narrative – not just in politics and popular culture, but in the current medical dogma as well. The Received Wisdom must be defended, even if it’s plainly wrong. The latest wrong thing: the poisonous nature of dietary protein.

Read article

“They’re always hungry, and that hunger, and a lack of satiety with small portions, leads to impulsive eating and eating large portions. And the foods they are choosing aren’t really keeping them full, since foods with high fiber levels are the kinds of foods which do keep people full.”
    this makes no sense to me.

If I eat a shit ton of broccoli or veggies, yeah immediately after I feel full, but about two hours later, I'm starving again.

I thought it was understood that meats, proteins, fats were more satiating.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    by Mark Rippetoe

The New York Times has a vested interest in maintaining the narrative – not just in politics and popular culture, but in the current medical dogma as well. The Received Wisdom must be defended, even if it’s plainly wrong. The latest wrong thing: the poisonous nature of dietary protein.

Read article
    These pediatricians are an embarrasment to my profession AND they are always preaching (getting worse) because they consider themselves far more intelligent and expert than any parent or other person who might be familiar with kids. They tend to be Leftists.....and have abstract notions that do not comport with reality.

I like this one....look at the language construction....even it is Progressive Left

"and increasing amounts of vegetables or other underconsumed food groups.”

Anyway, what the F is "underconsumed food groups".....a new identiity group? Do we need a redistribution program at the Federal level?

You gotta admire the Orwellian tendencies of the Left. So seductive and so out of touch. but it is all for the children, and if you are skeptical or speak out of line.....you will be quickly branded a hater of children or worse.

Great Article as always. We know that there is no evidence to show that a healthy kidney is weakened by high protein intake. I'm curious, can the same be said about the idea that high protein intake can cause colon cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    this makes no sense to me.

If I eat a shit ton of broccoli or veggies, yeah immediately after I feel full, but about two hours later, I'm starving again.

I thought it was understood that meats, proteins, fats were more satiating.
    I’ve never felt all that satuated after eating broccoli, especially not for hours.

Great article! I liked the part about how Elsie forgot how she felt when she was a growing boy. Funny.

I think each person is different on what makes them feel full. Some people respond better to protein, others to fat, and some to fiber (but not veggies something more substantial). Usually the debate that I see focuses on fat vs protein. I think people should experiment and see what works for them. People spend more time worrying about what kind of oil to put in their cars, then what kind of food they put in their bodies. The body is a depreciating asset as well. Haha!!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    These pediatricians are an embarrasment to my profession AND they are always preaching (getting worse) because they consider themselves far more intelligent and expert than any parent or other person who might be familiar with kids. They tend to be Leftists.....and have abstract notions that do not comport with reality.

I like this one....look at the language construction....even it is Progressive Left

"and increasing amounts of vegetables or other underconsumed food groups.”

Anyway, what the F is "underconsumed food groups".....a new identiity group? Do we need a redistribution program at the Federal level?

You gotta admire the Orwellian tendencies of the Left. So seductive and so out of touch. but it is all for the children, and if you are skeptical or speak out of line.....you will be quickly branded a hater of children or worse.
    The guy is an idiot, but there are underconsumed food groups...namely fruits and vegetables. More fiber, more potassium, more vitamins and minerals, more pigments and micronutrients...all good stuff.

The fuckery ensues with the implicit assumption that a diet high in animal protein and ALSO high in plant matter is some sort of inherent contradiction. Our pre-Indus-River/Mesopotamian/Yellow-River ancestors would have found this curious. In any event, I manage it. I can also chew bubble gum and walk at the same time.
    Last edited by Jonathon Sullivan; 03-07-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    The guy is an idiot, but there are underconsumed food groups...namely fruits and vegetables. More fiber, more potassium, more vitamins and minerals, more pigments and micronutrients...all good stuff.

The fuckery ensues with the implicit assumption that a diet high in animal protein and ALSO high in plant matter is some sort of inherent contradiction. Our pre-Indus-River/Mesopotamian/Yellow-River ancestors would have found this curious. In any event, I manage it. I can also chew bubble gum and walk at the same time.
    Yes, there are "Underconsumed food groups"......but why say it that way when you have already started with vegetables and then just could add ...fruits or nuts. Most people would totally get THAT. But then to conflate vegetables with "underconsumed food groups". IT's gibberish....worthy of some kind of self annointed "expert" or academic , intended to complicate what is simple.

the entire article could have been eliminated with one sentence. Eat more fruits and vegetables....period.

The article is completely one sided as well, not looking at the protein consumption research. You would think that the journalist might call up Phillips or someone else and just ask?

This bullshit is advocacy.

There were several commercials and public service ditties during the Olympics.....regarding the value of milk drinking. Wonder what the squirmy pediatricians thought about that?

I'm sorry, this crap from NYT is not journalism.

And THAT ..is how I really feel about it

Here's my 2 cents: If boys aren't eating enough veggies (and fruits) then the answer is to encourage them to eat more veggies & fruits. Teen boys, in general, have no problem consuming vast amounts of food. They don't have to skimp on the protein to fit their veggies & fruits into their days. Maybe improved school lunches would encourage them to eat more veggies -- a fresh salad bar in the cafeteria, for example. Or just stop cooking the damn veggies before they are completely wrecked. The veggies that were served up when I was in school were not appetizing - who could blame any kid who could afford it, for going out for fries instead?

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    by Mark Rippetoe

Read article
    Rip’s critique of the article seems spot-on; but its flaws did not go unnoticed by readers at the time the original piece was published. Take a look at the readers’ comments, most of which are quite skeptical of the claims made in the article.

I am less persuaded by Rip’s contention that this piece is reflects a conscious mindset on the part of the Times editors to promulgate leftist dogma with the ultimate goal of turning our boys into girlie-men. If that is the case, why did the Times publish, on February 7, 2018 a piece by columnist Gretchen Reynolds entitled “Lift Weights, Eat More Protein, Especially If You’re Over 40”?

starting strength coach development program
    He (Dr. Calzo) looks to be of a very slight nature himself. Hmmmm....

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/sogie/jerel-p-calzo-phd/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast