starting strength gym

Thread: Form Creep

Default Form Creep

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by Mark Rippetoe

It is an absolute certainty that technical execution in both training and performance will change slowly over time, slowly enough that the athlete’s perception of his own technique remains unchanged during the process.

Read article

What's the technique for identifying proper depth while doing the squat? I'm having a good experience using video to review each set, but would like to know in the moment.
    Thanks.

Training by yourself, you just have to remember what the good/deep reps feel like, and do them all that way.

Thanks for the response, will do.

Big fan of the book "Strong Enough?", so excuse my cheesy comment: Nobody writes like you do in this business, Mark. Powerful stuff, confirming the old saying that language is weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Training by yourself, you just have to remember what the good/deep reps feel like, and do them all that way.
    It seems you say that really isn't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    The ability to accurately and objectively assess one’s own physical performance – especially if heavy weights are involved – is virtually impossible to develop for most people, no matter how long they train or how carefully they pay attention.
    Am I misunderstanding that? Wouldn't evaluation of your form via video be the way to go if you are truly by yourself?

If you evaluate your own form by video, how do you apply what you learn by watching to the next set, that you cannot watch while you do it? At some point, you're dependent on the ability to feel what's happening under the bar. It's difficult, and this is why coaching in person is important.

Thanks for reprinting this, I found it very helpful. My proprioception is not very good, so having the common "creep" errors described is helpful.

Squat depth -- I just can't feel it very well, so I always have a bungee cord set up and use that to judge my depth.

I keep a list of specifics in my work out area, given to me by a coach (who I can't see regularly), to keep in mind, and I will add these to my list.

starting strength coach development program
    “Comfort is a powerful seductive mistress.” T-Shirt please!