starting strength gym

Thread: Strength Matters

Default Strength Matters

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    by Nicholas Soleyn

"[W]e tend to focus on the practical benefits of strength training: A stronger you can better interact with your environment in all the ways you like to do so; stronger is better. But this end result is, in many ways, a sign for many other changes that occur within your body when you train for strength."

Read article

Glad you’re alright Nick.

Any idea what caused the heart attack?

Quote Originally Posted by Swyou22 View Post
    Glad you’re alright Nick.

Any idea what caused the heart attack?
    Thanks. The cause of the event itself was a complete blockage the LAD artery. I also had a 90% blockage in the OM1. As far as the underlying contributing factors, there were several obvious contributors: high-ish cholesterol, high-ish blood pressure, and previously undiagnosed but severe sleep apnea. Even those wouldn't have signaled the imminence of a heart attack without also my being (apparently) predisposed to coronary artery disease. I've never smoked or used illegal drugs of any kind. The doctor's conclusion as to why I had "one the sickest hearts he's ever seen" for someone my age is that "it must be genetic."
    Last edited by Nicholas Soleyn; 07-05-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: spelling

This was a wonderful piece. Thank you. Years ago I enjoyed a podcast called super human radio. The host might be nuts, however... He had a line that went, "muscle and strength are our currency against life's twists and turns". I too, like yourself, enjoy the process these days. So far it's been a wise choice, because I understand the numbers don't matter, the consistency is what matters. So, again, thank you for a well written piece.

Great article, glad you are around to share it with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Soleyn View Post
    Thanks. The cause of the event itself was a complete blockage the LAD artery. I also had a 90% blockage in the OM1. As far as the underlying contributing factors, there were several obvious contributors: high-ish cholesterol, high-ish blood pressure, and previously undiagnosed but severe sleep apnea. Even those wouldn't have signaled the imminence of a heart attack without also my being (apparently) predisposed to coronary artery disease. I've never smoked or used illegal drugs of any kind. The doctor's conclusion as to why I had "one the sickest hearts he's ever seen" for someone my age is that "it must be genetic."
    Thanks for the well written article, glad you're doing well. Hindsight, would you have done anything different to try and "prevent" it at all? Like more frequent blood tests for cholesterol, BP checks, diet changes, weight loss/gain etc?

I have an orphan disease related to inflammation in the skin and I'l be having my second surgery soon. It usually screws up my training (lots of bandages with open wound healing) for about 10 weeks. I check my diet, stay away from shit food etc to try and optmize my health. I'm only 32. Training through inflammation flare ups still got me to a 170lbs press, 300 bench, 400 squat and 500 deadlift in December of 2017. Not big numbers compared to most, but enough to make me proud.

Thanks for sharing your story. Always motivates me to push through times when I feel a bit down during a flare up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    Hindsight, would you have done anything different to try and "prevent" it at all? Like more frequent blood tests for cholesterol, BP checks, diet changes, weight loss/gain etc?
    Perfect hindsight: I would've had preventative imaging and care as soon as I turned 30 years old. Since we don't get do-overs, the next best thing is wise counsel from people who know what they are talking about. Such perspectives are not as readily available in the fitness industry as I wish they were, but I would have listened better to people like Dr. Sullivan. I think his YouTube channel (GreySteel) video #5 "Five Ways to Ruin (or Improve!) Your Health" is a pretty good place to start.

For fitness, I was a marathoner then a crossfitter before finding Starting Strenth, and I think my article states my feelings about what is valuable as far as those things we can train. Wading into the morass of nutrition advice without educating yourself is useless. Again, I am learning a lot now from people I trust who have their heads clear of their asses. I suppose I am carrying the risk that they, in fact, do not, but I'm okay with that; when what you are doing is harmful you have to change.

Good luck with your surgery. This stuff screws with our ability to make the progress we want, but training is still training and you'vee built an excellent strength base already.