starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training the Emergency Weight Loss Trainee

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Excellent read. I've just downloaded the book "Rapid Fat loss handbook" you suggested and will be on it starting tomorrow. I'm not quite a EWLT but to close for comfort. Ive had issues getting into a proper low bar squat and you all have made some suggestions on the Q & A subforum. Any way you nailed alot of points from my perspective and this article was of great help.
    Ryan

Lots of giid information, Andy. Nice work.

Question for you about a slightly different situation. Say you need to lose a lot of weight, but can do the main barbell exercises, and want to add a less tedious and more intense cardio exercise like a kickboxing class. When is the best time to schedule it?

I’m currently lifting 2x per week, squat/press on Tuesday and bench/deadlift on Friday (plus assistance work on both days). Would the best days to add intense cardio be Monday and Thursday, or would you recommend something else?

Finally, something that has helped me and might help some of your overweight trainees. I stopped eating early meals on the days I lift. Instead, I have a glass of water with an electrolyte tablet dissolved in it (helps avoid cramps that can come with low carb dieting) and then a “bulletproof” style coffee: coffee + an ounce of Kerry Gold butter + a tablespoon of MCT oil blended up. That gives me enough energy to get through a 1.5 hour workout, alternating sets of the barbell exercises. Then I have a protein shake made with ice and coffee, and then ~5 hours later, a meat and salad kind of meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post

Most of the cardio is going to be done on their own. I have an arrangement here in Kingwood with the owner and manager of the SNAP Fitness down the road. I send them members to use their cardio and they send me people who want to lift with a coach. We've been referring business back and forth like this for a number of years. Most of these types of places stay relatively empty and have very cheap memberships
    Ok. That makes more sense. Thanks for the response. Great article. I have a prospective client that fits this profile and it's nice to hear someone with experience explain something that works well.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I always appreciate your realistic approach to training all types of clients, Andy. You consider a wide range of variables to ensure client/lifter compliance with the training journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Was this not adequately addressed in the article? Did you read it all?
    Yes, I read it all.
    While it was stated that the idea is to have the weight loss ASAP, no reason was specified. You're right, it's obvious that reaching the goal sooner rather than later is preferable. Maybe I phrased my question poorly. What I meant was why the best way to go about it is as rapid weight loss as possible, as opposed to more moderate dieting. I didn't want to imply that I disagree, it's just a new approach to me.
    I agree that several reasons were implied or can be deducted. I should have thought about it myself a bit longer before just asking. But then, I wanted Coach Baker's opinion, not my own assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC)
    Because with this population the psychological / emotional approach is as important as the physiological. (...) It's absolutely imperative that we get some major positive momentum going in the first few weeks. If we have 100 lbs to lose it's a lot more encouraging and motivating to lose 20 lbs right off the bat than 5. Same reason Dave Ramsey's money management system works for a lot of people - it's not about the math, it's about modifying behavior and getting positive emotional momentum and big change at the front end.
    (...)
    Thank you, coach. Perfectly clear.
    That's what I suspected (after I took a minute to think about it...), I thought there might be some physiological reasons as well I'm unaware of. I understand some other benefits of the rapid weight loss, too, especially in this population. I guess it's just that I'm so used to hearing recommendations and arguments for moderated and steady weight loss, I was surprised.

If you've been around addiction at all you know that a little bit of alcohol or heroin or coke doesn't work.
    I have. You're right. Useful analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by dpinsen View Post
    Lots of giid information, Andy. Nice work.

Question for you about a slightly different situation. Say you need to lose a lot of weight, but can do the main barbell exercises, and want to add a less tedious and more intense cardio exercise like a kickboxing class. When is the best time to schedule it?

I’m currently lifting 2x per week, squat/press on Tuesday and bench/deadlift on Friday (plus assistance work on both days). Would the best days to add intense cardio be Monday and Thursday, or would you recommend something else?

Finally, something that has helped me and might help some of your overweight trainees. I stopped eating early meals on the days I lift. Instead, I have a glass of water with an electrolyte tablet dissolved in it (helps avoid cramps that can come with low carb dieting) and then a “bulletproof” style coffee: coffee + an ounce of Kerry Gold butter + a tablespoon of MCT oil blended up. That gives me enough energy to get through a 1.5 hour workout, alternating sets of the barbell exercises. Then I have a protein shake made with ice and coffee, and then ~5 hours later, a meat and salad kind of meal.
    Usually on that type of split I put the heavy weight training after a day of rest and then do the cardio the day after training, so in your case it'd be Wednesday and Saturday. On a severe caloric deficit I'm not a fan of high intensity cardio. I try and reserve the high glycolytic activity for the weight room. But I'm not familiar with cardio kickboxing and how demanding (or not) it is so use your judgement.

I'm not a fan of this meal plan. There is no way you can get adequate protein in 2 meals per day. Part of the overall plan is to spare protein / preserve muscle mass, not just to eat less. This is almost always 4-6 meals per day. It's very inconvenient, but so is weighing 400 lbs

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Usually on that type of split I put the heavy weight training after a day of rest and then do the cardio the day after training, so in your case it'd be Wednesday and Saturday. On a severe caloric deficit I'm not a fan of high intensity cardio. I try and reserve the high glycolytic activity for the weight room. But I'm not familiar with cardio kickboxing and how demanding (or not) it is so use your judgement.

I'm not a fan of this meal plan. There is no way you can get adequate protein in 2 meals per day. Part of the overall plan is to spare protein / preserve muscle mass, not just to eat less. This is almost always 4-6 meals per day. It's very inconvenient, but so is weighing 400 lbs
    Okay, thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12