starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training the Emergency Weight Loss Trainee

Default Training the Emergency Weight Loss Trainee

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    by Andy Baker

"It may surprise some of you to hear a Starting Strength Coach make the declaration that training for strength is not always the primary objective of every trainee's program. There are in fact times when strength must become a secondary concern for both client and coach – even in novice programming. Those would include members of our community who need to lose a lot of weight, and those who coach those who need to lose a lot of weight."

Read Article

This was a fantastic read.

Excellent article Andy, thank you.
    Very thorough, clear and informational.

If I may ask, why is the goal to lose weight ASAP? Why not go a little slower, titrate calories, maintain more muscle mass? Maybe even make the dieting less gruesome?

I'm just curious, I have no experience in this regard. I did a few bodybuilding shows in my youth, and the advice always was "go slow and steady with the diet to prevent excessive muscle loss". Of course, the other bodybuilders and me never needed to lose nearly as much weight.
    I'm aware it's an entirely different situation/population, but still - why as fast as possible?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Alexander Dargatz; 11-01-2018 at 01:15 AM.

Andy, I want to thank and congratulate you for your incredibly important, compassionate, intelligent, and useful article on EWLTs today. I learned a lot from it, I'll re-read it several times, and as far as I'm concerned it's required reading for coaches.

You knocked it out of the park, man, and showed once again that this is a true profession, and a noble calling.

Well done, sir.

So do you have these clients do the cardio on their own, or are they in your gym upwards of 8 hours a week?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    Andy, I want to thank and congratulate you for your incredibly important, compassionate, intelligent, and useful article on EWLTs today. I learned a lot from it, I'll re-read it several times, and as far as I'm concerned it's required reading for coaches.

You knocked it out of the park, man, and showed once again that this is a true profession, and a noble calling.

Well done, sir.
    I should have said that, instead of merely "Excellent article". I completely agree, and I won't even use the information as a coach.

Well done, sir.
    I completely agree. An excellent article. Congratulations

Well done, sir.
    What he said. Thanks for writing it, Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    If I may ask, why is the goal to lose weight ASAP? Why not go a little slower, titrate calories, maintain more muscle mass? Maybe even make the dieting less gruesome?
    Was this not adequately addressed in the article? Did you read it all?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    This was a fantastic read.
    Thanks Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    Excellent article Andy, thank you.
    Very thorough, clear and informational.

I'm just curious, I have no experience in this regard. I did a few bodybuilding shows in my youth, and the advice always was "go slow and steady with the diet to prevent excessive muscle loss". Of course, the other bodybuilders and me never needed to lose nearly as much weight.
    I'm aware it's an entirely different situation/population, but still - why as fast as possible?
    Thank you!
    Because with this population the psychological / emotional approach is as important as the physiological. The profile of this trainee couldn't be further on the other end of the spectrum from the competitive bodybuilder when it comes to diet. It's absolutely imperative that we get some major positive momentum going in the first few weeks. If we have 100 lbs to lose it's a lot more encouraging and motivating to lose 20 lbs right off the bat than 5. Same reason Dave Ramsey's money management system works for a lot of people - it's not about the math, it's about modifying behavior and getting positive emotional momentum and big change at the front end.

The severity of the diet is part of the reason it works for a lot of people. I haven't seen good success with the "everything in moderation" approach with this crowd. I'm 100% positive that it has worked for some people, but I've just seen severe work a lot more than moderate. I think a lack of choice is actually a good thing for compliance. Eating less sucks either way.

If you've been around addiction at all you know that a little bit of alcohol or heroin or coke doesn't work. You are either sober or using. If you've ever tried to quit smoking or dipping or chewing you know that using "a little" usually leads to alot and I've never seen people quit any other way but cold turkey. If you haven't been around addiction then eating a little bit of cake here and there for a food addict is kinda like just sticking in the tip. Probably better to just stay zipped up

Well done, sir.
    Thanks Sully

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    So do you have these clients do the cardio on their own, or are they in your gym upwards of 8 hours a week?
    Most of the cardio is going to be done on their own. I have an arrangement here in Kingwood with the owner and manager of the SNAP Fitness down the road. I send them members to use their cardio and they send me people who want to lift with a coach. We've been referring business back and forth like this for a number of years. Most of these types of places stay relatively empty and have very cheap memberships

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast