starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Welbourn

Default John Welbourn

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In the latest Starting Strength Series interview, Rip talks to 10-yr NFL veteran John Welbourn about training, injuries, talent, recruiting and more.

John Welbourn
    Last edited by stef; 07-11-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Good stuff. Thanks for spending the time, effort, and money to produce these interviews.

I've just finished watching the whole thing, very interesting stuff.
    But a question is still remained unsolved:

If i'm not mistaken, either rip or john promised us a way or a method to translate the strength in the gym to the field, and they didn't provide much, or any information about how to do this. I'd be really really interested in your methods, and if it can be applied to the basic starting strength program and perhaps a 5x5 program. What about speed training? Agility?

I know that John told us in the interview that they did a westside template with olympic lifts and sprinting, but he doesn't get too specific with it. Does he still does that? What about athletes that can progress on linear programs?

I have a few ideas in mind as to have 2-3 days dedicated for strength(in the football preseason, not in the early offseason), 1 for conditioning can be in a form of strongman stuff and 1-2 speed.
    The conditioning day was used by a lot of trainers with great success, instead of running the athletes you can make the flip tires, drag sleds, push the prowler, do log clean and jerks and etc'. But how do you put all that in the big picture?

I'm a highschool football player with hopes to play college so i'm really interested in this.

that guys forearms are massive man.

I had to remember where I originally saw this, but here is a good article about NFL Films - sorry, link no longer good. It's a great story. I'm not a Raiders fan at all, but you can't help but like "The Autumn Wind" (YouTube).
    Last edited by stef; 09-11-2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: removed dead link

Good times talking about Veteran's Stadium..

These just keep getting better. Thanks again for the putting these interviews up.
    Living amongst average people it's easy to forget just how significantly more gifted these athletes really are.

I had the experience of going on a downhill skiing trip with an early 30's gentleman who had injured out of an NHL farm team. From having never skiid previously he was chasing a 10 year black diamond skier through the trees (not me). After we got back to the chalet he ran up the hill to go to lift at the gym before it was time to go out dancing.

He was adamant that he was in the worst shape of his life at that point after having had pins in both his ankle and knee.

It is hard to relate to these level of physical talents. While I'm certain he worked harder than I ever will to achieve his worst shape the results that these athletes can obtain from the work is astounding.

Wonderful interview.

This is probably my favorite interview so far. Im not a big football fan but this helped me to appreciate the level of athletes in that sport. Cant find interviews of this quality anywhere else.

fascinating...looking at him kind of answered my question about staying big on paleo.

starting strength coach development program
    Great interview-dont know whether to be inspired or pack it in. These guys are on such a different plain-genetically-its just ridiculous. Would be nice to see an interview with someone who made it to the top with average or decent genetics-not freak genetics. At 5'7 and 185 pounds I just cant relate to this guy although I thoroughly enjoyed the interview. The Brock Lesnar part was hilarious!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast