starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training with a Hangover

Default Training with a Hangover

by Bill Starr

“I made it a point to push them to personal records on several of the exercises in the program for that day. I wanted to show them that they did have control over their bodies, even when they wanted to throw up or just go lie down on the sit-up boards”

Article

Resources Page

Awesome article. Took me back to my days in the army. The PTIs loved to thrash us if we had a hangover. Also explains how I managed to get through so many Basic Fitness Tests with a hangover. I had carb loaded the night before :-)

What a revealing article - this is a great read. Thank you.

I'm surprised Starr didn't mention hydration. I've found so long as I can remember to drink a litre of water prior to going to bed after coming back from the piss, then drink more upon getting up, I feel much less like shit than had I not, during training.
    Anyway the article was good.

No, they all reassured me, all they wanted was the key. They wanted to see if they could train
    under the influence of LSD. It seemed absurd, yet I had watched Jack Hill win the Teen-Age Nationals
    in 1969 while he was on the drug. I gave them the key
    That's got to be the trip of his lifetime!

It amazes me that for once in my life I feel highly qualified to comment on something and equally untempted to do so.

These Bill Starr articles would make a great book.

If Starr ever wrote a book of essays I'd buy it for sure.

I do have the dubious distinction of having trained with a hangover far more times than it would be socially acceptable to admit, and I learned fairly early that it's a great way to shake off the symptoms of boozing. It really sucks in the beginning but as you get through warm-ups and your first couple of working sets you start to feel like something resembling human again. However, while varsity college athletes can probably get away with impaired recovery on a semi-regular basis, the quality of drunk sleep is horrific and if you string together too many of those nights you'll be digging yourself into a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Flashman View Post
    I'm surprised Starr didn't mention hydration.
    That is I suspect because the article is written without any knowledge of the side effects of excessive alcohol consumption on the athlete.

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/banzai...er-do-or-dont/

Wal, I assure you that the author has extremely intimate knowledge and vast experience with the effects of alcohol on the athlete. This may be the silliest thing you've ever typed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast