starting strength gym

Thread: Strong(ish) but slow?

Default Strong(ish) but slow?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've come to the realization I'm SLOW. Maybe not a realization but more of an observation. I feel like I'm lacking explosive power and am not sure what to do. It seems to me when squatting my 275 comes up as fast as my 350, really they all feel about the same unless it's my absolute max and it slowly grinds out. Same thing with bench, unless it's really light, or max effort.

I feel like this is effecting my completely unimportant D league softball skills, and my other bottom of the rung sports I play.

Suggestions for overall speed work?

My advice is stop being a pussy and start cleaning. Not the pussy power clean, but the full clean.

At the very least learn to clean first, then do power cleans. Pretty much every error that you can make on the power clean can be avoided if you learn to clean first.
    Last edited by yellowmamba; 04-30-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowmamba View Post
    My advice is stop being a pussy and start cleaning. Not the pussy power clean, but the full clean.

At the very least learn to clean first, then do power cleans. Pretty much every error that you can make on the power clean can be avoided if you learn to clean first.
    Have any links to videos demonstrating?

Quote Originally Posted by Desp View Post
    Have any links to videos demonstrating?
    Of course! It's Glenn Pendlay's three step clean progression. He's considered the devil on these forums, but this is by far the easiest and best way to learn how to clean.

You should be able to learn how to clean in one workout. I started off the first session practicing the form with 10kg bumper plates on both sides, and the next session I worked up to a 1RM, backing off with 6 sets of 2. It's the full clean, so doubles are probably a bit more preferable. Every session add 2.5kg, and do it 3 times a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEyo...D01DB9CE4F6EA9
    Last edited by yellowmamba; 04-30-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Is he considered the devil because the way he teaches it, looks like the bar takes a somewhat curved path instead of straight up?

Last edited by DRice311; 04-30-2013 at 02:48 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Desp View Post
    Is he considered the devil because the way he teaches it, looks like the bar takes a somewhat curved path instead of straight up?
    Just do what Pendlay says. Mark Rippetoe's arguments are only valid if you have a lifter with a very weak first pull.