starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixing upper back rounding?

Default Fixing upper back rounding?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    When deadlifting, I pull the slack out of the bar which gets my lower back and most of my upper back tight. However, no matter how much I squeeze my chest up, I can't get my back from around T2 upwards to get tight.

The amount of flexion stays constant throughout the lift. The amount of flexion stays constant during my warm up sets.

I've been out injured with a rugby injury for ~6 weeks, spent ~2 weeks back without squatting nor benching until yesterday and did seated t bar rows over the last 2 weeks to try to fix this. I've noticed some improvement, but not much.

Is there anything that I can do to fix this ie rows, shrugs, stretching, mobility etc?

I have insanely small traps (obviously due to a pathetic deadlift), so maybe the lack of traps musculature makes the flexion look worse than it is?

I recorded my set yesterday (130kg x 5) but ran out of memory mid set so will post a video on Thursday. Also, I apologise for how stupid this q is, i'm so frustrated that I can't get my upper back tight and am paranoid about getting injured.

If you're truly injured you are looking for advice in the wrong place. I found a really good sports chiro near me and he helped me to keep lifting around my injury. It took 6 months before I could comfortably bench, yet my DL and my Squat both progressed.

for my sample of n=1 my DL and my recovery both benefited greatly from a decent load of consistent upper back work. I did facepulls 2-3x week, lat pulls since I couldnt comfortably do pull ups, and cable rows. I did all 3 movements on a machine since I could control the load much better than I could with dumbells. I also moved to using straps instead of mix gripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    If you're truly injured you are looking for advice in the wrong place. I found a really good sports chiro near me and he helped me to keep lifting around my injury. It took 6 months before I could comfortably bench, yet my DL and my Squat both progressed.

for my sample of n=1 my DL and my recovery both benefited greatly from a decent load of consistent upper back work. I did facepulls 2-3x week, lat pulls since I couldnt comfortably do pull ups, and cable rows. I did all 3 movements on a machine since I could control the load much better than I could with dumbells. I also moved to using straps instead of mix gripping.
    You went and saw Josh, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    You went and saw Josh, right?
    Nah, Dr Bradford in Smyrna. Placed called Sports Chiro Institute. The guy is a former Rugby player from New Zealand, and currently coaches at top program. I go see him once a month now for a general check up. You sign up for the Spring Competition?

Nah, Dr Bradford in Smyrna. Placed called Sports Chiro Institute. The guy is a former Rugby player from New Zealand, and currently coaches at top program. I go see him once a month now for a general check up. You sign up for the Spring Competition?
    Not yet, but planning on it.

Don't think it's an injury. Just lack of strength. Even if it is an injury, getting strong generally fixes it, provided I'm getting strong in the correct exercise. I can do chins, bench, ohp fine without any pain btw.

Wouldn't go near chiros. Most are plain scam artists or at the very least, poorly trained.

Do you have a video of this?

If so, could you post it?

How much are you deadlifting?

I've struggled and struggle with upper back rounding. I had some luck with doing snatch grip deadlifts on light days. When I felt like they began to interfere with regular deadlifts I quit the snatch grip.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Do you have a video of this?

If so, could you post it?
    Camera ran out memory mid set so i'll upload on my set on thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkroman View Post
    How much are you deadlifting?
    Will be deadlifting 132.5kg x 5 on thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Eric220 View Post
    I've struggled and struggle with upper back rounding. I had some luck with doing snatch grip deadlifts on light days. When I felt like they began to interfere with regular deadlifts I quit the snatch grip.
    I dont know why I didnt consider snatch grip deadlifting before. How taxing are they on recovery? What rep/set range did you find most useful? My thumb is injured (from rugby) so I can't do any PCs, would SGDL be an appropriate replacement?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast