starting strength gym

Thread: DL: good. squat: bad. why?

Default DL: good. squat: bad. why?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    m, 28 yo, 6', 227 lbs, SS LP

My DL is currently 360x5, but my squat is a difficult 265 3x5 after a recent reset due to illness and momentum loss. I'm getting online coaching for my diet and sleep is good @ 8hrs a night.

I've had form checks for both and had thumbs up for both lifts, with some minor suggestions here and there for the squat. However, while my deadlifts have hardly given me any problems along the way, my squat has given me a ton and required more than a few resets. At this point I just don't get it. Why do I suck at squats, but have a decent novice deadlift? Could it be my anthropometry? - long legs, short torso, long arms.

What do you think? Thanks for your time.

I always wondered why I was good at cycling but not rowing or speed skating
    Last edited by Steve Hill; 05-02-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    Just one of those things, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    m, 28 yo, 6', 227 lbs, SS LP

My DL is currently 360x5, but my squat is a difficult 265 3x5 after a recent reset due to illness and momentum loss. I'm getting online coaching for my diet and sleep is good @ 8hrs a night.

I've had form checks for both and had thumbs up for both lifts, with some minor suggestions here and there for the squat. However, while my deadlifts have hardly given me any problems along the way, my squat has given me a ton and required more than a few resets. At this point I just don't get it. Why do I suck at squats, but have a decent novice deadlift? Could it be my anthropometry? - long legs, short torso, long arms.

What do you think? Thanks for your time.
    Meh. Anthopometry.

My deads hover around 100-110 pounds more than my squat. I have had to work significantly harder on my squat. And I struggle with squat form more than I do with deads. It is what it is. There is hope, just keeping training.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    It has to do with the amount of force multipliers between your body and the medium, Steve. Rowing has 1 force multiplier, and skating has 0. Cycling has, what, 3 (the crank arm, the drivetrain, the wheel)?

Likewise, you're probably terrible at canoeing/kayaking, walking/running, board games not involving catching mice, and rock climbing, but really good at winding clocks and using chain hoists. Because of this - and I hate to be the one to break it to you - you're not cut out for this barbell stuff. There just aren't enough external force multipliers. I'd even steer clear of dandy horses and penny-farthings if I were you. Them's the breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Just one of those things, eh?
    Long arms and long legs with a short torso tends to work well for deads and less well for squats, although anthropometry is not destiny. You can look at this from the glass-half-full perspective. You are a decent deadlifter.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Meh. Anthopometry.

My deads hover around 100-110 pounds more than my squat. I have had to work significantly harder on my squat. And I struggle with squat form more than I do with deads. It is what it is. There is hope, just keeping training.
    Thank you, oh crookedest of fingers, for the wise encouragement. Glad to know I'm not alone. (cue that Michael Jaskson song)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Long arms and long legs with a short torso tends to work well for deads and less well for squats, although anthropometry is not destiny. You can look at this from the glass-half-full perspective. You are a decent deadlifter.
    Damnit, you're right. I'm being an whiny lil beh beh. Thanks.