starting strength gym

Thread: How to Warmup for Barbell Training | Grant Broggi

Default How to Warmup for Barbell Training | Grant Broggi

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Grant Broggi, Starting Strength Coach and owner of The Strength Co in Costa Mesa and Villa Park, CA , shows you how to do a proper warmup for the basic barbell lifts.

Watch video

This guy knows how to make a crisp, informative video. Great editing, tight script.

I'm 65, 5'6", 160 lbs, don't have a coach, just using the book. Just started Dec 31st and have done my 3 workout every week. Right now squatting 150 and deadlifting 185. I have been taking my work set weight, subtracting the bar, and dividing by 4. Based on that, I set my warm up sets. This is different than what you suggest. Thoughts for a newbe?

Ok, maybe that was a dumb question. The difference between warm ups of work weight minus bar divided by 4 is pretty close to the weights of 45%/65%/85% work set weight. The percentage approach moves the weight slightly upward on each warm up set. Since I'm a novice novice it looks like a lot, but I'm coachable and of course defer to the experienced, trained coach.

When you begin the workout, should there be any additional warm up, just to get the body moving and heated up?

How warm is the room?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How warm is the room?
    Regular room temperature. I'm guessing your answer is no additional warm up required.

I haven't found it to be either necessary or helpful.

starting strength coach development program
    Came across an individual the other day who explained to me that he uses the stationary bike to warm up for squats, rather then a calculated approach to a work set. He's a mad man right? As far as I know he hasn't suffered an injury while training and his squat is at 215. If he continues this approach and the weight actually gets difficult, he is going to tear something up.