starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It's been a while since I've check in with my squat. This is set 4/5 on my latest TM volume day.
    YouTube

In addition to general pointers, I'd appreciate any feedback on grip/arm position. I have an intermittent ache in my right shoulder/arm (sometimes bicep, sometimes feels like posterior delt) that I suspect is grip-related. I have watched/read many of the SS articles and videos addressing this, but I haven't found a solution yet. I'm taking it week-by-week, currently it's trending better.

Thanks,
    Adam

Hey Adam
    Your suspicions about grip are correct. Your wrists are a bit flexed and your throttling the bar during the rep and your elbows pop up. Part of this is grip/wrist position and the other part is a soft thoracic spine.
    Get your wrists more neutral-to-just slightly extended, then lift your chest up to get the thoracic spine into extension. Keep the elbows pinned down and the back tight.
    It's also muting your hip drive a bit. You can see you lift your head/chest a bit out of the hole. Presumably because you feel the bar rolling forward.
    Get the grip right and the thoracic spine set, and that should help any pain you're having in the shoulder.
    Good luck!

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the pointers, I'll experiment this afternoon.

I don't have a video of my latest intensity day (305 for 3 singles, tapering to the end of a TM cycle), but now that you mention it, I think the soft thoracic spine is showing up even more at the higher weights. I felt a significant loss of strength coming up out of the hole, as if my hips checked out of the lift and it became more quad-dominant.

I forgot to ask above... Is my lumbar spine overextended at the top of the squat? It kind of looks like it is to me, but maybe it's just an illusion.

It's very slight and can be mitigated by getting the abs tightened up front. Or just working on keeping it in neutral extension to start. It's not your main issue though.