starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check and Question

Default Deadlift Form Check and Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Guys,

Here's my latest Deadlift video. I missed filming my feet in the shot but I measure shins to 1 inch every time during setup. What I am finding is that my form on the first rep after initial set up looks decent (I think), but when the bar returns to the floor it inevitably moves, and I find myself compensating by setting up to where ever the bar fell settled at, and that degrades my form.

You'll see my first two reps look decent (again, I think), but for the 3rd rep the bar moved enough that I needed to set up from scratch, and from that point I got worried there would be too much of a break between reps, so I rushed, and my form on reps 3-5 (especially 5, which felt terrible) suffered for it. Also, can't seem to get my upper back straight no matter how much I raise chest to ceiling. Is that an issue as long as lower back is not round?

Any advice is appreciated. Is it acceptable to go through full set up between reps like I did before rep 3 if the bar moves, and if so, do I need to be quick so it's not a pause-like set or can I take my time?

YouTube

Hey Dean

You're setting up with your hips too low to start. Get a bit closer. Like a 1/4 inch.
    You're not really getting your low back set and it goes from slightly flexed to more flexed as you pull the bar from the ground. You're upper back has a bit more natural rounding, so it may not "look" perfectly flat when you set up. It's fine as long as you're squeezing it into extension and hold that position.
    Check out the Low Back Position Control video in our youtube channel. Then work on getting your low back set during the setup. You're looking to tilt your ass upward like you're presenting it to the wall behind you. Think about holding on to the bar, and pulling your belly to the floor while trying to point the chest forward. Keep your eyes out and not straight down when you pull.
    Work on that to start and that should help with the main technique errors.
    Good luck.

Thanks Pete. I will check that video right now. So basically you're saying my low back should be near fully flexed before the pull starts right?

To confirm, you want me shins a quarter inch from the bar before I bend down to grab it?

Hey Dean

Get about a 1/4 inch closer to the bar from where you're setting up.

The low back should be fully extended before the pull starts. Flexed (rounded) would be the opposite and what you want to work to avoid.

Thank you Pete.

Hi Pete,

That was a great video. After I was done laughing my ass off at Rips delivery of “drop your dick between your knees,” I got up and did it and that showed me I indeed did not know how to arch my low back. I always just arched my whole back.

Now my question though - Do I drop my dick between my knees at the top of the squat before starting the rep? Also, can I do that for the deadlift before I bend down to grab the bar. I tried to arch the low back once I was set up at the bottom, before the pull and can’t figure it out, but if I am standing up I can do it.

Hey Dean

Glad it gave you a laugh. You want the back to remain in a neutral position at the top of the squat and hold it throughout the lift. If dropping your junk between your legs helps you to get into and hold that position, that's fine.
    For the deadlift, you'll have to work a bit harder to get it done while bent over, but it's easier if you do it while you're lifting the chest to set the thoracic spine into extension. Usually you can get it set in a wave from top to bottom. Or think about presenting your rear end to the wall behind you as you get set up.

Thanks Pete.

Is neutral position at the top of the squat considered lower back arch? Because when I drop it between my knees I feel the low back arch (which automatically points my nipples at the floor). But I don’t know if doing that is considered neutral position, and if I should instead point them to the floor just by leaning my entire torso forward instead.

Hey Pete,

Next attempt below. Tried to take everything into consideration. I feel like it's better and it felt better, but probably still not quite there. Also, I should mention - I have a spinal deformation at L4-L5. I was born with a lumbar kyphosis and gravity has not been kind. That's actually why I started lifting. Squats and Deadlifts are the only thing that takes the pain away for about 12-24 hours.

I bring that up because when I get to the point of "presenting my rear to the wall" as part of setting my lower back, that hurts the Kyphotic deformation of my lumbar spine quite a lot. I hope that's not a deal breaker. Really don't want to stop Deadlifting.

Can send you a photo of the spine if you want.

YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    What type/grade of lumbar kyphosis do you have?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast