starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check #2

Default Deadlift Form Check #2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey coaches,

I'm following up my previous thread.

After failing with 136kg and resetting, I'm approaching my former PR and would like some feedback if I'm on the right track.

This was my set with 131kg from today's workout:

The main thing I've been trying to get right is the setup position, since before I was starting too close to the bar and hips too high. I noticed that on some reps my hips drop a little bit right before the pull, when I'm setting my back. What else could I improve?

Thanks!

Hi Marcelo,

What I see is that you are breaking it off the floor with hip extension. Push the floor away with your feet, keep the barbell in contact with your shins, and you should be ok. If you think of keeping your shoulders in front of the barbell just a little longer, this will help you break the barbell off the floor with knee extension rather than hip extension.

I'd like you to use the hook grip. It would help you keep the barbell on your shins.

Hey Karl, thanks for the feedback.

I'll try to keep the cues of "shoulder in front" and "push the floor" in mind next time.

I'm using the hook grip until my second last warmup, then I switch to mixed grip because it feels more secure, but I can try on my next heavy DL day to use until my top set.

Thanks!