starting strength gym

Thread: Training with Arthritis Inflammation

Default Training with Arthritis Inflammation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First, for context I've already read some of the ST articles and videos about arthritis; I understand (agree) that strength training helps address arthritis issues.

What is not clear to me is why someone with arthritis should train during a period of inflammation - with exercises that will directly touch the body part(s) which are inflamed.

And yes, I saw the video below with Inga and Mozelle; I find it hard to believe doing barbell exercises when her hands are swollen (from RA inflammation) is a good idea. (YouTube )

I searched this topic, because I woke up with a relatively minor but annoying amount of inflammation in my knee - it hurts to straighten my right leg. (I trained Sunday and then on Monday jogged on the elliptical for 30 minutes. I'm trying to thread the needle of losing weight while gaining muscle.)

Long story short - is there clinical evidence that shows strength training - on a body part(s) - during a flare up/ with inflammation is a good idea? Beyond the fact it's painful - I'd expect doing so would just make the inflamed are worse. (I'd expect it'd be wiser to train around the area.)

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide here.

Nick

What do you mean by "clinical evidence"?

Mark -

By clinical evidence, I mean statistical evidence, observed/ collected/ analyzed by a clinical professional, which shows that strength training, during a period of arthritic inflammation, and more specifically when training areas that utilize inflamed joints/ muscles, is a good idea. By good idea, I mean that pain/inflammation in the respective area decreases immediately/shortly after following such training. Long story short - I don't want to train inflamed areas during a flareup if it will make the pain worse and extend the cycle of inflammation.

I understand that in the long term strength training is a good idea for individuals with arthritis. I am just not clear if or why it's a good idea to do so on areas inflamed during an arthritis flareup. My approach during such periods is to train areas that aren't inflamed.

And while I respect Mozelle for her dedication to strength training, I think it's crazy that she trains with barbells when her hands are really inflamed, unless it is helpful in reducing the cycle of inflammation in the near term. (I say this knowing that working through hardship and pain increases toughness - however given the nature of arthritis
    I believe it's important to focus on winning the war and not a particular battle). On the other hand, if such training worsens pain/ inflammation in the short term (but helps in the long term) that needs to be clarified / emphasized in her and future videos on the topic.

Thanks for reading and any feedback you can provide -

Nick

You seem to think that anything that causes pain also causes a worsening of the condition, and nothing could be further from the truth. What has been your experience with massage?

Quote Originally Posted by Nabruzzo View Post
    I think it's crazy that she trains with barbells when her hands are really inflamed, unless it is helpful in reducing the cycle of inflammation in the near term. (...)
    On the other hand, if such training worsens pain/ inflammation in the short term...
    There is a third possibility - that training doesn't make the condition worse nor better. In that case, it's also not crazy to train, wouldn't you say?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Dargatz View Post
    There is a third possibility - that training doesn't make the condition worse nor better. In that case, it's also not crazy to train, wouldn't you say?
    Training an area under inflammation certainly and significantly increases pain - it's due to that fact I asked the question. It just seems unwise to execute an activity that worsens pain, without the benefit of reducing inflammation in the near term. I am not suggesting to stop training during a flare up - merely not to train on those areas inflamed.

(I do understand that mental toughness that comes with enduring difficulties. But arthritis pain is unlike traditional soreness - it's horrible. With all that said, I feel the need to provide some context - as I'm not one to typically complain about pain. I've had the misfortune of having pancreatitis once due to a reaction to a medication. Many doctors indicate that pancreatitis is one the most painful conditions a man could encounter. It was probably a 9 out of 10 for me; I passed out from pain in my doc's office. A bad arthritis flare up isn't as bad pancreatitis - but causes so much pain (in my feet) that I can't walk when it occurs

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You seem to think that anything that causes pain also causes a worsening of the condition, and nothing could be further from the truth. What has been your experience with massage?
    Mark,

I haven't tried much massage for arthritis; in periods of severe inflammation I generally avoid training the muscle/joints. I'm also on Humira which has reduced the frequency of flare ups.

I do understand the long term benefit of training; I just don't understand why it's a good idea to train areas that are inflamed during a flare up. (Wouldn't it be a better idea to train around those problem areas?)

Experience has shown that mechanical stimulation can disrupt inflamed tissue and promote healing, depending on the etiology. If you don't like the pain, just take the Humira.

starting strength coach development program
    OP, someone like you with bilateral arthritis is in a perfect position to prove to themselves (and other interested parties) whether exercise improves or makes arthritis worse. Have you considered this opportunity? Maybe some of the medical types on this forum could help you with a protocol of exercises for one leg and (massage/rest/compression/ice/whatever their experience dictates) for the other.