starting strength gym
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength Houston

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Anyone else looking at Thanksgiving in terms of macros and sheer volume that will be available?

My macros will consist of Turkey, Turkey, and more Turkey.

There's a reason that turkey is cheap.

I’ve been training at SS Houston since it opened in August, and over the past several months, I’ve really come to appreciate the methodology, and how barbell training is applied to a wide variety of individuals, with a range of anthropometric qualities, fitness levels, knowledge, and experience. This, with a focus on steady, achievable, progressive goalsetting mirrors the principles I’ve used for years on the job.

I work in Physical Therapy, at a large Acute Care hospital, and the main focus is the utilization of carefully applied, graduated physical stressors that improve physical ability, including strength, endurance, and fundamental mobilization skills. This can apply to a wide variety of individuals, from the higher-level, fully ambulatory patient to the deconditioned senior who must deal with multiple comorbidities, to the traumatically-injured patient with multiple fractures and the inability to bear weight through several limbs.

From a different perspective, mobilizing these types of patients often requires therapy staff to utilize a great deal of physical strength, and I’ve seen far too many coworkers get injured at work over the years because they lacked it, and I was determined to avoid this outcome at all costs. I’ve been in this field for over a decade (having effected a career change in my 30’s), and I have noticed a decrease in my strength levels over time. Patients admitted into the Acute Care setting these days are becoming larger, more deconditioned, and more dependent on others for mobility, and the greater the amount of mobilization force that Therapy staff can utilize, the safer and more effectively the treatment session will go, for both patients and those working with them.

Regardless, getting patients to participate to the fullest extent of their ability, and increasing their tolerance to activity by progressively increasing the difficulty of activities throughout their hospital course is the key. While there are some instances in which therapy can and should be deferred or skipped, for the most part, there is usually something that most patients can do, to participate and improve their physiological lot, a bit at a time. Sounds a lot like barbell training to me!

These similarities are what attracted me to Starting Strength in the first place, and the continued progress and growth I’ve experienced has made training not something that I’ve resigned myself to doing, but instead greatly look forward to. I’m grateful to the staff of SS Houston for sharing their expertise and energy in both my personal (and professional!) development. Thanks, everybody!

Thank you Andy! We love having you at the gym.

Looking forward to seeing your continued progress!

For those interested in attending the Nutrition Camp at Starting Strength Houston on Feb. 1st but are still unsure as to what it entails...click the link...

Starting Strength Nutrition Camps: An Overview

I just wanted to post a quick bit of feedback regarding the Nutrition Camp held at SS Houston yesterday, hosted by Robert Santana, MS, RD, SSC, and fellow dietitian Christie, of Weights and Plates in Phoenix, Arizona. For those who haven’t had the opportunity to attend, or who might be one the fence about attending an upcoming one, I definitely recommend doing so.

The presenters were thoroughly knowledgeable, open, and accessible, even offering to stay after the day ended to provide additional insight. They made what might have been, in other hands, a dry, clinically-dense presentation a rather clear, concise, and engaging one. As a comparison, I took a graduate-level sports nutrition course several years ago, and I can now say, in complete honesty and without hyperbole, that I came away with more solid, actionable information from this 5-hour event than I ever did throughout the entirety of that whole semester.

The advice given during the afternoon was grounded in the literature and generalized enough to be understandable, and yet adaptable enough to allow for individualized, straightforward application. The lecture portion took up roughly the first half of the program, leaving plenty of time afterwards for a lengthy, lively Q&A, allowing attendees to ask specific questions regarding their own experiences, challenges, and/or circumstances. The presenters delved into a wide variety of concerns, from food choices and substitutions thereof, supplementation, suggestions for mass building versus cutting, and even ideas for those attendees who had specific dietary convictions (either lifestyle or personal) that might have otherwise hindered their development.

Thank you, Bob and Christie, for coming to Houston to share the benefits of your knowledge and expertise, and, of course, I have to offer my gratitude to the SS Houston staff, for facilitating a tremendously worthwhile experience!

Had to post a review from one of our members. It jumps out to me, not because of the 5 stars or because the coaching is working but because Chase is the subject.

Chase is currently the youngest SSC but you’d never know it from talking to him. The average age of our members is 44, the average age of the men is 40 and 48 for the women. Our eldest member is 74 and the youngest is 20. Every apprentice we currently have is over 30.

Chase holds his own - in terms of being able to relate, hold a conversation, correct, and admonish - with damn near everyone.

Does he have further to go? Sure, but he’s head and shoulders above anyone his age and above quite a few more that aren’t.

We are extremely fortunate to have him at Starting Strength Houston.

Starting Strength Houston

Great review JD! And congrats to Chase on a job well done. It's amazing where a proper 'apprenticeship' can take you.

starting strength coach development program
    Just a quick fyi for all - we’ve started to look for our 2nd location. Our target is to have the location identified and lease signed by July 1st and be open by the end of the year.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast