starting strength gym

Thread: Obtaining Clients

Default Obtaining Clients

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    To those who were personal trainers and are now SSCs, how did you go about obtaining clients to teach them the Starting Strength method?

I am a personal trainer/gym manager with ambitions to someday become an SSC, and while my ambitions are big, my client base isn't... What were your methods/approaches to not only obtaining clients, but getting them to buy in in to the SS method?

How did you get to the point where you were able to coach all different kinds of people?

There are many ways to approach this, but you have an advantage actually being at a gym. Try gradually building a rapport with people there, find out what their goals are, and then discuss how SS can help them meet those goals. If you show you are invested in the clients even though you aren't actively training them and it will go a long way. The other thing to do is get your friends and family in and train them. You will need as much experience coaching as you can get so that you can retain actual clients down the road and you can use the sessions with your friends and family to get some of this experience but also to generate promotional material (photos, videos) to advertise on social media.

You didn't ask for non-SSCs, but only one has responded, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    To those who were personal trainers and are now SSCs, how did you go about obtaining clients to teach them the Starting Strength method?

I am a personal trainer/gym manager with ambitions to someday become an SSC, and while my ambitions are big, my client base isn't... What were your methods/approaches to not only obtaining clients, but getting them to buy in in to the SS method?
    If you're running a commercial gym and coaching, you're best method to get people to buy in is going to be to get your clients stronger than everyone else in the gym in their demographic. This includes the 60 year old woman.

How did you get to the point where you were able to coach all different kinds of people?
    Train relatives. Train friends.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I'd like to open this up to anyone haha. Your advice is great! So is Hayden's!

Depending on your tolerance for losing some money up front to attract long-term customers, here is an option you may entertain:

Offer one free strength training session for currently serving and retired police officers, firefighters, paramedics and armed forces members/veterans. Blow their socks off with quality training and keep a loyal customer for the long term.

Here are a few reasons why they might be a good customer base to cultivate:

1) They all went through a training system at some point which means they are trainable and they all were part of hierarchy, so they'll listen to orders.
    2) They are public servants which means that they're keeping their jobs through the covid crisis.
    3) Retired public servants will have solid pensions which means they can afford a luxury like strength training.
    4) Police, firefighters, paramedics and servicemembers understand the value of physical strength through practical experience.
    5) The physical training they received through their careers probably sucked, so if you do SS with them you'll seem like a genius by comparison.
    6) They tend to have tight-knit groups of friends that they trust, so your quality work will spread faster through word of mouth.
    7) A currently serving police officer/firefighter/paramedic/servicemember may save your life some day, so it's in your best interest to help them be strong.
    8) The physical nature of their jobs will beat up their bodies more than other people. You can help them hurt less.
    9) Having friends in the police may help you out of a jam at some point.

Cheers,

James

Yo James,

This is an excellent idea. I'm gonna have to try this out. I actually have a buddy who is gonna join the ABQ sheriff's dept., and I'm teaching him to deadlift properly after he takes his PT test tomorrow. I've been giving him lifting tips for a couple years now (admittedly, it was all bodybuilding stuff, but he now trusts me with lifting advice nonetheless), and it will certainly be a huge benefit to have a pal in the force

Yo James,

This is an excellent idea. I'm gonna have to try this out. I actually have a buddy who is gonna join the ABQ sheriff's dept., and I'm teaching him to deadlift properly after he takes his PT test tomorrow. I've been giving him lifting tips for a couple years now (admittedly, it was all bodybuilding stuff, but he now trusts me with lifting advice nonetheless), and it will certainly be a huge benefit to have a pal in the force
    I don't want to dissuade you, but keep in mind that the government likes their certifications. Something to think about when considering your pitch.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    I'm ACE certified as a personal trainer. However, it did expire at the end of May. I'm wanting to pursue the SSC, and I feel like that is gonna be way more valuable anyway