starting strength gym

Thread: Question about coaching The Press

Default Question about coaching The Press

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, Rip and forum,

I recently taught the press 2.0 as part of module 11 in the coaching prep course to a lifter. I read the recent article of the press as a throw The Press as a “Throw” | Mark Rippetoe and I thought the cue to throw the bar might be applicable to my lifter to help her better understand the timing. I am also looking for coaching tips in general, don't hold any punches. All feedback and criticism welcome!

I cut the third rep on purpose, sorry for not posting a set of five.

Have a look, if you please!

Module 11.1 - YouTube

You didn't cue a "throw."

Yes, correct. Sorry if I was unclear.

I taught the lift as per the coaching module, which follows the process Darin Deaton uses in this video How to Do the Overhead Press with Darin Deaton - YouTube

This session took place before you published the aforementioned article. I thought the cue might be relevant in the case of my lifter and was curious what your take was on the matter. I have not heard of that particular cue before and I was hoping to get your opinion. I guess what I'm really asking is how the teaching progression would differ.

You mention in the article that the lifter will likely have soft knees but nail the timing. So you would teach the bounce before emphasizing locked knees? It would make sense to me that this would teach a false movement pattern similar to an armpull in the clean.

Curious what considerations goes into how you teach the press to a particular lifter, and how a coach should prioritize.

Hope that makes sense, thank you for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by ddl View Post
    Yes, correct. Sorry if I was unclear.

I taught the lift as per the coaching module, which follows the process Darin Deaton uses in this video How to Do the Overhead Press with Darin Deaton - YouTube

This session took place before you published the aforementioned article. I thought the cue might be relevant in the case of my lifter and was curious what your take was on the matter. I have not heard of that particular cue before and I was hoping to get your opinion. I guess what I'm really asking is how the teaching progression would differ.
    You would add the "throw" cue to the end of the teaching progression to solidify the concept of a dynamic movement, after the other steps are learned.

Thank you! Will definitely try it out.