starting strength gym

Thread: Is teaching Starting Strength without being an SSC negligence?

Default Is teaching Starting Strength without being an SSC negligence?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello!

I´m Hugo from Spain and I am preparing to be an SSC. I know that the most important part of the process, apart from reading the key books several times, is the fact of gaining experience training many people of diverse anthropomorphic variety.

My dream would be to go to the US to train as an SSC in an Starting Strength gym, at the same time that I combine it with working in a job. But it seems to be an unfeasible option due to permits and bureaucracy. I have already asked other SCCs from outside the US how their process has been and they have told me that they have prepared themselves in their countries of origin and have traveled there for the seminars. And this was the option that they have recommended for my circumstance. I will do so since I have no other choice.

My main problem is how to attract people to train in a place where the Starting Strength methodology is not internalized and what they are familiar with is the aesthetics, bodybuilding, high reps and low loads of Functional Training, and in the best of cases with Powerlifting and CrossFit, taking into account that in these two disciplines the proper technique is sacrificed in order to lift the maximum weight or do more reps. This is my big fight with the fitness industry.

I have an Instagram profile where I post content about Olympic bar strength training in order to educate people about its advantages and benefits for both athletic performance and health. And obviously I'm doing it based on everything I've learned and continue to learn from Starting Strength. My purpose is to try to become an authority on this matter. Occasionally I post phrases like "Strong Peolple are Harder to Killed than Weak People, and More Useful in general", always crediting Rippetoe or the corresponding person as the author.

But I wanted to make sure of the following, and that is why I have opened this post. Is it okay for me to publish and teach about the Starting Strength methodology without me having the SSC certificate yet? I mean, wouldn't I be negligent if I pass myself off as what I'm not yet or if I pass off the method as if it were mine? If I clarify that I am training to be an SSC, would I have no problems despite disclosing this method?

I want to be sure that I do things well and that is why I ask you.

Thank you!

As long as you don't use our trademark -- don't claim to be a Starting Strength Coach -- you can publish and discuss anything you want. Coaching and using the method is the only way to learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    As long as you don't use our trademark -- don't claim to be a Starting Strength Coach -- you can publish and discuss anything you want. Coaching and using the method is the only way to learn it.
    Just to clarify, I think that the OP wants to be sure he’s not violating any kind of trademark infringement issues by teaching the StartingStrength methodology and even attributing the training he’s offering as following the StartingStretch method as outlined in your books and videos.

I had a pair of female cops at a “big box” gym approach me wanting me to show them how to properly deadlift. Presumably they did so because they recognized me as being older and smaller in stature than the average person doing 3 plates+ which apparently gave me some credibility in their eyes. I told them that I’m not a qualified coach but that I was happy to share what knowledge I have. I specifically told them that there are probably several ways of doing a deadlift but that I used the StartingStrength method. I also loaned them your book and referred them to Paul Horn (still in LA at the time).

I’m assuming that what I did was kosher right? Obviously I never considered charging them but if I had, you wouldn’t have had a problem with me doing so (providing I gave the same disclaimers I gave above), correct?

There is only one way to deadlift at maximum efficiency. You should have just showed them. Logic cannot be made proprietary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is only one way to deadlift at maximum efficiency. You should have just showed them. Logic cannot be made proprietary.
    I did.