starting strength gym

Thread: Making the switch

Default Making the switch

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

My name's Peter, I'm a 39-year old software developer looking to make a career switch into coaching. Currently I'm employed full-time and we have a 6 month old baby, so time is rather limited but I'm determined to make this happen. I've started coaching my wife and other family members for free. The thing I'm wondering about the most is how to get experience with as many clients as possible.

I have a home gym with limited space which would allow me to train one, maybe two lifters at a time. Since a workout session would take more than an hour, with my full-time work (and my own workouts!) I don't see many clients would be able to train at my house three days in a week. I could of course start giving lots of introductory sessions, assuming that people have either a home gym or are able to go to a gym in the neighbourhood, but then you don't really have an ongoing coach-client relationship, nor a good path to a sustainable business. What's a good approach here? Have them lift once a week at my place and the other two at home/another gym (perhaps asking them to make videos the other two days so we can go over those when they're here)?

Eventually I want to drop my current job to part-time and eventually make a full switch, which would allow more time for trainees to come over (and even rent a proper space), but until I have a good client base that's financially impossible.

Buy or rent an old building with heat, light, concrete floor, and a restroom (or outhouse). Put in a couple of squat racks and some other equipment. Let your clients train there for a small fee. Eventually build up from there.

The Bill Starr Chronicles: Fielder's Shed | Jim Moser

A little late to the game, but ill add my two cents.

When I was offering personal training, I selected a local gym and paid them a space rental fee per session. You might finagle a deal like that with a non-big-box kind of gym to get started. They’ll probably want to see some proof of credential.

Looking back, I failed because of a lack of drive to do the networking and business development needed to build clientele. Even smart SEO will only find you people who are actively searching for you online. If you have the time, you might connect with your local Chamber of Commerce after you establish your business. Being “the new guy” is great, because everyone is a prospect and everyone wants to meet you. You’ll probably have to attend after-hours networking cocktail hours. Bring well-made business cards. Practice your elevator pitch so you’re concise, consistent and memorable. When you do this, you’re not necessarily “selling” to the people you speak to (they tend to dislike that); instead imagine that you’re giving them information in hopes that they remember you for a friend, colleague or family member. The same way you don’t want to buy their insurance or change to their bank, they probably don’t want your coaching services - at least not immediately. But if you inform without selling, some of them will eventually have a referral for you and some may even become clients.

Remember that if you’re doing this solo, you’re not just a coach, but also a marketer. Are you up for that? Hope this helps.