starting strength gym
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cmanuel's 531 Log for USAPL Raw Competition

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Diesel View Post
    In my current rotation, I do Kroc rows every other bench day (chins on the other bench day). Sometimes I'll do a heavy, low-rep (5-6 reps) horizontal row like barbell rows for about 3-5 sets, then go straight to the 100 lb. Krocs for 1 all-out set. Other days, I've done warm-ups to the 100s with 20/40/60/80 or 25/50/75 or even 40/70 for 8-15 reps per side, then the 100s to failure. I always treat each side at the heaviest weight as its own set, and may rest 3-5 minutes between left and right sides. The Y where I normally train tops out at 100 lb dumbbells, so I have to start benching at another Y location in town where they go up to 150. Last time I did them a couple of weeks ago, I hit 30 reps per side with 100 lbs, so I think I'm going to reset at 110 and go until I hit 30 reps again.

At this point, I don't plan to go to Raw Nats this year. I haven't looked into how affordable the trip would/wouldn't be, but the timing isn't so great for me. My wife and I are expecting another baby in June, so that may rule me out without considering $. However, if I got an invite to the Arnold Raw Challenge this year, you should definitely get one for 2011 if you hit what you're capable of at Raw Nats. Then I'll meet you next year in Columbus when I'm a spectator again!
    I appreciate the input dude. I will take these into consideration when working Kroc Rows

Thats definitely a goal of mine... i want to make a statement in the 181s at the RAW Nationals and then go from there. I'm very comfortable at this weight and don't foresee myself moving up anytime soon. Maybe one day i'll try to get 70s big

531 Cycle 2 week 4 DELOAD for squat

Did a deload day of sorts in Spartanburg SC at the garage gym (Fat babys gym)
    Skwats

205x5
    225x5
    315x5 (easy)

315x5 was pretty easy. Its quite clear that my strength on squats has come a long way. I can remember only about 3-4 months ago 315x5 required lots of effort... now its minimal. Awesome

Strict and deep good mornings
    135x10x3sets

Thats all she wrote!

today was bench deload day (531 cycle 2 week 4 [deload])

Im actually now in Clemson SC. I am working out at G7 gym in Central, probably the nicest commercial gym i've ever lifted in. There is a group of 3 powerlifters that I used to work out with last year while I was completing my final semester at Clemson. I ran into them tonight and we shot the **** for a while. They all commented on how much bigger I look now... guess ive been doing something right!!! Good times good times. . .
    Bench press
    135x5 for 2 sets
    185x5

Bent barbell rows
    135x5 for 3 sets

elbows out DB press
    35lb DB 3 sets of 10

Thats all she wrote!

Just dicked around in the gym today back home. Really just used it as an excuse to hang out with old friends while they train. Technically today was supposed to be an off day, but I did light lower body s*** today.

Zercher Squats
    5x135
    5x185
    5x225

Stiff leg DL (haven't done these in a while)
    225x5 for 2 sets (these suck, I'd rather do GM's, so I decided to ditch them)

glute ham raises
    3 sets of 15 bodyweight

Grip training
    closed the CoC Trainer for 3 sets of 5 each hand

I ate collard greens, black eyed peas, and hog jaws today for New years. Oh, and I closed my CoC Trainer for 3 sets of 5 as well. Does that count?

Spent tonight working on my diet plan for the first part of 2010. Well, diet and training really. The plan will be to run this throughout January and at the end of January tweak it as needed. I've set it up pretty drastically in order to lean out pretty rapidly, but I'll readjust if I feel strength is going down the crapper.

Diet is from Shelby Starnes.

Training:
    Mo - Squat
    Tu - OH Press
    We - Off
    Th - Bench
    Fr - Deadlift
    Sa and Su -Off

Diet:
    Mo - High Carb
    Tu - Med Carb
    We - Low Carb
    Th - Med Carb
    Fr - Med Carb
    Sa and Su - Low Carb

Cardio:
    Mo - none
    Tu - 30 min moderate
    We - 18 min intervals
    Th - 30 min moderate
    Fr - 30 min moderate
    Sa - 18 min intervals
    Su - Off

The high days will be like this:
    Meal 1: 70g carbs, 30g protein
    Meal 2: 60g carbs, 30g protein
    Meal 3: 60g carbs, 30g protein
    Meal 4: 70g carbs, 30g protein post workout
    Meal 5: 50g carbs, 30g protein
    Meal 6: 50g carbs, 30g protein
    Meal 7: 35g protein, unlimited veggies

Medium day, 6 meals:
    Meal 1: 50g carbs, 45g protein
    Meal 2: 30g carbs, 45g protein
    Meal 3: 50g carbs, 45 protein Post workout
    Meal 4: 45g protein, 2 cups veggies, 8g of healthy fat
    Meal 5: same as meal 4
    Meal 6: 50g protein, 3g borage oil

Low day, 6 meals:
    Meal 1: 30g carbs, 45g protein, 3g fish oil
    Meal 2: same as meal 1
    Meal 3: 45g protein, 2 cups veggies, 2g fish oil, 1tbsp all natural peanut butter
    Meal 4: same as meal 3
    Meal 5: same as meal 3
    Meal 6: 50g protein, 1 teaspoon olive or flax oil, 3g borage oil

Food choices:
    Protein: chicken, lean cuts of steak, fish, turkey, egg whites, whey, caseinate, any high quality protein powder
    Veggies: basically anything green, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, asparagus, salads,
    Fats: all natural peanut butter, borage oil, olive oil, cold pressed canola and safflower oil, almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, flax oil, fish oils
    Carbs: oatmeal, rice, potatoes, yams, cream of rice

Only supplements will be fish oil, borage oil (per shelby's recs), protein powder, multi vitamin, and AtLarge Results
    I hate dieting but godamnit im going to stick with this and see some Abs

Next competition: March 20th: Rocky Mountain lifting club championships Denver CO

quick and easy deadlift deload today
    deadlift
    225x5
    275x5
    315x5

Good mornings
    135x10

At this point my lower back was pretty tight and I was feeling somewhat sore all over. I think I'm going to take about 5 days off from training and get back into it with the beginning of my new cycle of 531 on Friday Jan 8th.

Another lifter from Maryland hired Shelby Starnes this summer before Raw Nats. He was able to come back being a light 220 (around 205 or so) to the 198 to reclaim the MD raw squat record I took from him last April He swears by Shelby's planning, and if his results are common, you should be in real good hands.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by K.Diesel View Post
    Another lifter from Maryland hired Shelby Starnes this summer before Raw Nats. He was able to come back being a light 220 (around 205 or so) to the 198 to reclaim the MD raw squat record I took from him last April He swears by Shelby's planning, and if his results are common, you should be in real good hands.
    He definitely knows his stuff... I actually hired him early in 2008 to help me lose about 10-15 lbs. It was going very very well for about a month or more, and then for whatever reason i started slacking off and my results tapered. Looking back I'm pissed at myself for letting it falter... If only I was as dedicated then with my diet as i am now with my training.

So what you see is my old diet from Shelby, which I plan on running for a month or two and really giving it my best shot.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast