starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The quest for a 405 deadlift before I turn 50

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thank you STL.

Took a couple days off to play....sledding and crashing on icy and fast hills were the lastest endeavors!

Today:

Beltless dead stop deadlifts (no touch and go or bouncing reps):

270x3
    300x3
    320x3 easy!

Strict no kip pullups, chest touching bar:

50x3
    50x3
    50x7 easy! Need to add more weight, the sets of threes were not challenging enough at 50#.

A short metcon and gymnastic movements later.

AMRAP in 10 minutes:

10 45# DBall hang power cleans
    60 yards 125# kb "pop and pulls" across floor using 1.5" rope
    90 yard broad jumps (wanting 7 jumps or less per 45 yards)

5 rounds + 6 cleans. Need to use a 60# Dball for cleans and 170# for the pulls. First couple rounds of jumps were 8s; last 2 were sevens and one 6 1/2 jumps.

Finished with climbing "in and outs" through the swings cage as fast as possible.

Played at the Monkey Bar Gym in Madison WI...had fun doing a workout I don't normally do.

KB back presses - work up to max weight. Max weight a pair of 28k bells. Could not keep the 32s from rolling around my wrist during the start of the presses.

Renegade Rows - work up to max weight. A pair of 96# bells for this one for several good reps.

Vertical Jump - used 3,2,1,0 cables on Power jumper, 10 jumps each. I must have gained a good 5" in height by the end.....jumped to length of chain hung from ceiling.

15 yard Broad jumps in as few jumps as possible - used 3,2,0 cables on Power Jumper. 9 jumps with 3 cables to 14 yards in six jumps with no cables. Six jumps plus a hair is easily the best I have ever done.

Hey Kelly,

Finally saw your log. Glad to have you here and can't wait to see what you do at the Arnold.

--Justin

Beltless back squats:

190x5
    215x3
    245x1 - easy and very deep
    Decided to put on the belt to see if it felt any different:
    255x1 - easy and very deep, but I did not feel any difference from the belt
    260x1 - failed as I was a bit on my toes and could not recover

Finished squatting with a beltless 155x20. It was easy, but it brought back memories of 20 rep squat hell. At least three deep breaths between every rep. Sure is easier if you rush the first reps without the three deep breaths. I remember suffering through 205x20.....wonder if I could do better than that if I do the 20 rep squat routine again (after the Arnold). That routine put serious size and strength on my midget frame, better than anything else I've ever done.

3x6 205# Hip Bridges: shoulders elevated on two sandbags, 2 sec pause at top of each rep
    3x6 doubled gray band hip abductions: feet in same postition as squatting, 2 sec hold at extension
    3x6 GHR: hands straight overhead, no momentum and very slow up and down

Tabata jumping knee touch lunge squats: Started with a max of 19 in beginning, ended with 14.

Solid training Kelly. Keep it up, drink up those calories and try and fill out your class I am sure youll get what you want, expect and more with your hard work.

Hi Phil,

Thanks! My weight is down again to 113.....damn. I find I can only eat so much food. Drinking in more calories using raw milk, raw milk cream and raw egg yolks are my best bets for adding weight. I can drink more calories more easily than I can eat them. I'm off to the farm tomorrow for more of the above.

Bench Press - first rep of each set with a long pause on chest:

137x5
    157x3
    175x1 - solid, strong. Pushed the bar a little toward my feet after the pause (bad old habit) which made the lift harder than it should have been, but I'm become just strong enough to recover and finish with that weight.

3x6 Full ROM Handstand pushups - hands on 12" stools, head touching floor each rep. Used to be that 3x3 were almost impossible....very gratifying to see these going up.

3x6 ring pushups with 23# weight vest. Thumbs in armpit depth with a long pause in that position.

Despite my adding 2-3 glasses of liquid protein and fat (8 ozwhole raw milk/1 tbsp raw milk cream/2 scoops protein powder/one raw egg yolk per glass) to my diet I am still barely tipping the scales at 113#. I have to wonder if my scale is broken. One glass is my morning snack, end a workout with a glass and drink a glass just before bed in addition to my regular meals.

Beltless Deadstop Deadlifts (no touch and go or bouncing reps):

265x5
    300x3
    330x1 - easy
    350x1 - did this just to see how it would go.....great to know I can reliably pull triple bodyweight from the floor now! Abs and chest trying to cramp from that pull.

Weighted strict pullups:

50x7 - easy, chest touching bar each rep
    60x3 - easy, chest touching bar each rep
    70x3!!! - solid, no kicking reps! Chest touched bar each rep
    50x6 - solid!

I am sore just about everywhere today from yesterday's deadlifts and weighted pullups - butt, hams, hips, low back, lats, traps, chest, abs and neck. If I do this WOD again I will make it shorter and more strength specific: one shoulder sandbag weighted lunges and broad jumps using Lifeline USAs power jumper.

Altered the CrossFit WOD to avoid running on the icy Wisconsin roads:

Three rounds for time of:
    Walking lunge, 50 meters
    Standing broad-jump, 100 meters
    Row 200 meters

21:57 - Measured out 10 meters in my living room and worked back and forth for the needed distance. Required each exercise maintain a minimum step distance, jump distance or pace or I would add another 10 meters or 100 meters to that part of the workout. I want to make each rep count.

10 meters of lunges had to be accomplished in 9 strides or less with knee touching floor each rep, hands on hips.

10 meters of broad jumps had to happen in 5 jumps or less; I did have several that missed 4 jumps by about a foot! I used to need six jumps to do this....yes, it was pathetic. It's become better since my couple lessons with Jon Hinds at the Monkey Bar Gym. Thank you Jon!

Rowing had to maintain a sub 2 minute pace after six pulls or another 100 meters would be added. Fortunately I can maintain that pace for a short distance despite my dismal rowing ability.

Feeling much less sore now, but I know that will change by tomorrow.

starting strength coach development program
    Pretty sore in the butt, hams and hips today. Yoga, joint mobility and stretching this morning.

Decided on a short rowing workout. Forgot how brutal rowing can be if done all out:

Four 500 meter rows, 2 minute break between efforts. The object was to do all sets in under 2 minutes (did not come close, but did see two PRs):

1:52! - This is a PR for me....better yet was the 1:42 pace I saw for several pulls! I have NEVER seen a 1:40 anything when I have been rowing. I am not strong or conditioned enough to hold it, but damn it was a sight to see on the monitor! This was an all out 500m effort. I knew the rest of the workout would suffer, but seeing two PRs on this was worth it.

2:14 - I was dead from the first round
    2:06 - recovering, was able to hold a 1:58 until the 400m mark
    2:05 - cooked, just doing my best to hold on to 2:05 pace the duration

Felt stomach and gut sick after the workout. Just rolled around on the floor for a while before I felt good enough to get up. Reminds me of all out hill sprints, car pushing and prowler work.....short, brutal and effective. I like it.

More yoga and stretching throughout the day.
    Last edited by Kelly Moore; 01-13-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast