starting strength gym
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The quest for a 405 deadlift before I turn 50

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Light week....I need it because I am sore and feeling burned out. I was dumb and put too much energy into the lunge/broad jump/row workout a couple days ago. I should have done three much shorter distances with weighted lunges and the power jumper. I went all out on all the jumps and it was too much for three long rounds. More strength based with less distance would have been appropriate to my current goals...3 rounds of 20m weighted lunges, 20m power jumper broad jumps, sub 2 minute pace 200m rows might be about right for the next time.

Back Squats:

155x5
    170x5
    180x5

Bench Press (long pause on chest first rep each set):

112x5
    117x5
    125x5

I am very glad I lift at home. All these little plates on the bar are giving me a complex.

Nice work on the rows.... Just don't overdo things on your home stretch.
    7 weeks until the Arnolds?

Yeah, about seven weeks. I better stop screwing around and stick with the 10 minute metcon rule. I definitely overdid the broad jumps. Great work on hip extension and explosive power if done in correct amounts. Like anything else, great way to destroy my recovery and growth if done too excess.

OK....made this an easy 12 minute CrossFit WOD (close enough to the 10 minute mark and more like a recovery type workout than something that will detract from my heavy lifting):

With a continuously running clock, squat for 60 seconds. Subtract the number of squats completed from 60, and do that many pull-ups in minute two. In minute three, squat again, subtracting the number completed from 60. Do that number of push-ups in minute four. Minute five is squatting again, and minute six pull-ups.

The pattern is squats, pull-ups, squats, push-ups, squats, pull-ups, etc. The goal is to stay within the workout's formula for as long as possible.

Don't do more than 60 squats in any round.

All squats below parallel with full hip extension at the top, kipping pullups.

1. 58/12
    2. 56/12
    3. 54/12
    4. 53/12
    5. 53/12
    6. 59/43

Fun and easy workout.....squat reps high enough that pullups would have been pointless as RX'd, so it was a minumum of 12 pullups per round (I should have set the minimum higher). Squats were done at a fast but not all out pace; that minute break for the pullups allowed enough rest to continue at a good clip for all rounds. Went all out round six on both squats and pullups. Everything consecutive with no breaks.

All the heavy low rep squatting and weighted pullups have not hurt my unweighted high rep ability; actually, my squats were more enduring with less "pump" pain than ever. Pullups were equally easy. Good stuff!

I see I misread the WOD...did not do any pushups. Oh well.....I needed more pullups anyway.
    Last edited by Kelly Moore; 01-16-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Doing this routine throughout the day....should be around 10 times for the day when finished:

3 Full ROM HSPUs from 12" stools
    3/3 rolling bicycle pullups
    3/3 65# sandbag shoulder 18" slow step ups
    30 sec paralette L-sits

Rolling bicycle pullups = Start at hang, slowly pullup to right, slowly typewriter to left, slowly return to hang and repeat three times while bicycling entire time. 3 reps that direction followed by 3 reps the reverse direction. They look and feel awesome. Thank you to Camille for the Bartendaz DVD.....great pullup ideas there!

Left leg amazingly weak and uncoordinated for step ups. Can barely do them and need to put a hand on the wall to keep from falling over. Right leg very strong - very slow drive to full extension with no push off from left foot, no falling over.
    Last edited by Kelly Moore; 01-17-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Weight up to 116# this morning.....likely water weight, but at least the scales say I'm not a scrawny 113.

Joint mobility, yoga and stretching.

Back squats:

195x5
    210x5
    220x10! Deep, solid and easy!! Did not max out (want to make sure my lower back is ready for deadlifts on Wednesday/Thursday before leaving for beautiful two weeks in Kauai).

Hip bridges with shoulders on sandbags: 215x3x6

GHD raises with back end of apparatus on 6" block (no momentum, arms overhead): 3x6

Power Jumper broad jumps with focus on fast and full hip extension:

2 short purple bands (can not find the third band) - 5.5 jumps per room length
    1 short purple band - 4.5 jumps per room length
    No bands - 4 jumps per room length

Followed with more yoga and stretching.

Managed to pinch a nerve in my neck before benching and no amount of release techniques worked.

Joint mobility and stretching.

Benches, first rep of each set with long pause on chest:

140x5
    150x5
    160x5

Last set was rough. Pushed the bar toward my feet again a couple of reps. That really robs me of a good lift. No chance of doing any additional reps. A bit disappointed the bench felt crappy but considering I did 30 full ROM HSPUs just a couple days ago I should not be surprised. I didn't plan this very well.

Full ROM Handstand Pushups with hands on 12" stools, head touching ground each rep:

6, 7, 6 reps. I really prefer these to BB pressing my bodyweight; more comfortable for my shoulders and the increased range of motion (hands to armpits rather than stopping at collarbones) feels good too.

Tuck planche pushups on paralettes (back/hips kept parallel to ground, shoulders touching paralettes each rep):

3, 3, 3 - freaking hard! Between balancing and maintaining a parallel back my triceps and chest are fried. Was happy with a half second of straight arms at the top of the movement; could not hold that balanced position for any longer, even with legs tightly tucked into my chest.

Stretching, yoga and rolling during the day.

Joint mobility, stretching and yoga. Crap, weight was just under 114# again today. Great nutrition just doesn't work without adequate sleep.

Dead stop deadlifts:

270x5
    290x5
    305x9! - I remember when (not too long ago) 305x3 used to freak me out. And that was without relatively heavy sets of 5s before that attempt.

Strict pullups (chest touching bar each rep):

50x8
    60x4
    70x3
    50x6
    Last edited by Kelly Moore; 01-21-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Moore View Post
    Last set was rough. Pushed the bar toward my feet again a couple of reps. That really robs me of a good lift. No chance of doing any additional reps.
    I have a tendency to do the same thing on the bench press, and once it happens on max/near max lifts, it's all over. Are there any cues that you use to prevent yourself from doing this more often than not?

starting strength coach development program
    I really don't have any useful cues for keeping the bar moving along the right path other than to simply be really aware of what I know I have a tendency to do. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop the problem.

Currently on the beautiful island of Kauai, snorkeling and hiking far more than working out. I've been having terrible gut and stomach problems (probably from eating industrial raised chicken...same thing happened the last time I ate it) and my weight was way down (around 113# or less). No access to raw milk here either, but at least there is more than enough fresh raw mussels, squid, octupus and tuna!

Yesterday's workout (I finally felt good enough to move some weight):

Back Squat:

210x3
    220x3
    235x5

Strict weighted pullups:

50x7
    50x6
    50x5

Not a very inspired workout, but good considering how bad I have been feeling and my lack of bodyweight.
    Last edited by Kelly Moore; 01-29-2010 at 01:53 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast