starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The quest for a 405 deadlift before I turn 50

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Had a great deadlift workout at the 24 hour fitness facility in Kauai this afternoon. If you need a place to workout in Kauai, this is the place. Lots of weight, squat cage, chalk, rope, rings, sled, strongman equipment, no air conditioning and lifter friendly staff. Excellent place.

Beltless deadlifts:

290x3
    305x3
    325x5! Felt awesome! Could have done at least one, possibly two more reps with a bit of baby powder on the thighs (nearly tore the skin off due to the humidity and I wanted to go snorkeling pain free in the ocean after the workout). I remember when 325x1 for a single was a challenge. Now it's not a big deal anymore. It shouldn't be long (only 20#) until I'm pulling triple bodyweight for triples plus.

Bench Press (pause on chest for the first rep of each set):

140x3 (mistake....I was not supposed to do this. I misread my handwritten note)
    150x3
    160x3
    170x1 missed the next two touch and go reps
    155x2 to make up for the two missed 170 reps

3x5 Full ROM HSPUs (hands on chairs, shoulders touching chairs at bottom of lift)

Sled dragging in parking lot

Snorkeling!!!!
    Last edited by Kelly Moore; 02-09-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Done yesterday after snorkeling in the morning:

Back Squats:

190x5
    220x3
    255x2

Sled dragging and kipping pullups. Sled dragging much less painful after squats than after deadlifts!

Plan to hike part of the rugged and very slippery Na Pali coast tomorrow. Went snorkeling again today (I fell and punctured my finger with a sea urchin spine....ouch) and found a waterfall with a rope swing and a jumping cliff - that is for Thursday's fun!!

Hiked 8 miles yesterday along part of Kauai's Na Pali coast trail to the Hanakapiai Falls. It took six hours for the hike and we were not putzing along. The trail was very steep and very muddy with "Hawaiian ice" (that mud is really like ice) with many high step ups and step downs onto volcanic boulders and tree roots. It was an amazing hike!

Fantastic views. Absolutely worth the effort!

Forgot to log the past couple days; still suffering from the time zone changes and the return to Wisconsin's cold and frozen winter.

Feb 7 - feeling dead tired after spending around 10 hours traveling/sitting in airports and airplanes the day before. I should have waited a couple days before trying to lift heavy:

Deadlifts
    270x5 - felt awful
    305x3 - felt like I pulled triple bodyweight for three reps
    340x1 - could not budge the weight from the floor

Low back felt crappy after all the reps...I was obviously completely out of the right groove. Thinking back I'm sure I was pulling with my shoulders too far over the bar instead of just a bit in front of the bar.

Feb 8

Bench (first rep of each set with pause on chest)
    140x5 - felt good
    160x3 - felt good
    180x1 - got it off my chest about 3" but let the bar drift toward my feet. Pushed for about 6 seconds trying to bring the bar back in line but was not successful.
    150x3
    135x10

Full ROM HSPUs (Hands on 12" stools, head touching ground):
    7, 6, 5

Full ROM Ring Pushups with feet on 12" stool, hands into armpits
    3x10

Today:

Tabata kipping pullups (goal was 12 each round, but could not maintain the pace):
    12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 10, 9, 8

Tabata burpees with pushup and lateral jump over sandbag (goal was 6 each round, had a bit of time left each attempt. Will try for seven each round the next time):
    7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7
    Last edited by Kelly Moore; 02-09-2010 at 05:37 PM.

Jesus, 115 lbs and pulling 405 raw? That's gonna be a sight to see at any age.

Best of luck to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    Jesus, 115 lbs and pulling 405 raw? That's gonna be a sight to see at any age.

Best of luck to ya.
    ^^^^

Agreed. Your numbers are already impressive.

Thanks PMDL and ello!

Shoveled a LOT of freaking ice and snow that the snowplow left at the end of the driveway. Plowed in the garbage cans and the mailbox; had to move that heavy road ice ASAP this morning before garbage collection came through. Snow mounds are better than 6' high....throwing the shovelfuls became out of the question so I had to walk the damned things down the sidewalk so I could dump it. A long process.

Today's workout:

For time:
    50 Lateral Lunge Toss Over 9' bar and catch in Lateral Lunge, 10# ball
    25 L-Sit Pullups
    40 Lateral Lunge Toss Over 9' bar and catch in Lateral Lunge, 10# ball
    20 L-Sit Pullups
    30 Lateral Lunge Toss Over 9' bar and catch in Lateral Lunge, 10# ball
    15 L-Sit Pullups
    20 Lateral Lunge Toss Over 9' bar and catch in Lateral Lunge, 10# ball
    10 L-Sit Pullups
    10 Lateral Lunge Toss Over 9' bar and catch in Lateral Lunge, 10# ball
    5 L-Sit Pullups

14:50 - All L-Sit Pullups started and ended with straight arms, pulled to touch shoulders to bar. Lateral Lunge tosses were a complete irritation....I hit the bar many times and the ball went flying out of control so I was chasing it around the floor. I quickly discovered that tossing it with my left arm lead to lots of chase games. Goes to prove I need to do more unilateral work.

Deload week - I need it, I'm feeling tired!

Joint Mobility, stretching.

Back squats:

160x5
    175x5
    185x5

3x6 - GHD raises with 10# D-Ball held on crown of head. Tried to hold the ball with arms fully outstretched over head but could not do one rep! Doing six with the ball at the crown of my head was nearly my limit....freaking hard.

Bench Press:

115x5
    125x5
    130x5

3x6/6 - Deep Archer pushups on rings (one hand in regular pushup position, other arm out to side). Hand in armpit depth....hard, but no where near as difficult as the GH raises!

Just held 405# in my hands for 10 seconds. No good reason other than to feel the weight. No grip problem, but massive tricep cramps!

More stretching and yoga.
    Last edited by Kelly Moore; 02-11-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Went sledding yesterday afternoon.....bruises all over my behind and the backs my knees and calves. Managed to stay on the sled every run, even over the "moguls". Spent a great deal of the time airbourne and landing with sincere impact.....Fun!!

Back Squats:

200x5
    215x5
    230x8

3x6 225# hip bridges with shoulders on sandbags
    3x6 GHR with 10# DBall held on crown of head

Bench Presses:

150x5
    160x5
    170x1 Too fatigued, could not do four more reps
    155x4
    135x10

3x5 Full ROM HSPUs (hands on 12" stools, head touching floor
    3x3/3 Bicycling circle pullups (Bartendez style)
    2x5/5 Archer pushups on rings

Benches are falling off for some reason; squats and deadlifts still getting stronger.
    Last edited by Kelly Moore; 02-14-2010 at 12:52 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Stiff lower back and inner thighs....still paying my dues for the squats.

Today's workout:

3 strict no kip chest touching bar pullups with a straight leg raise with toes touching bar between each pullup rep. Mixing a leg raise into the mix kills that slight "stretch bounce" in the shoulders on strict pullups.

3 95# bar thrusters with bar stopped and held for a pause overhead each rep.

30' burpees with a pushup and distance jump (had to cover the length of the floor in as few jumps as possible, managed six each round).

3/3 landmine twists with 45# bar and 10# plate, hands on the end of the bar. Bar had to touch a thigh each rep with arms held straight during exercise.

7 rounds + a round of pullups and thrusters along with 3 burpee jumps in 10 minutes. Finished the remaining burpees and landmines.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast