starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 275 at 90 or to hell with you

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I don't. I'm using a web app that tracks all that stuff. It estimates the 1RM based on weights, reps and RPE score. I don't really worry about it, it's just there as an estimate based on the day. I'm not really tracking it.

Good stuff in here. I have a few friends who do rest pause work for bodybuilding purposes, curious to see how it builds your maximum effort strength. When is the next competition for you?

I'm actually not sure at the moment. I think there's one either later this month or in March, but I'm really not in any condition to do either. I'd like to do one by June/July but it just depends on the schedule. It isn't like up in the States where there's a meet just about every weekend, haha

Quote Originally Posted by PMDL View Post
    I'm actually not sure at the moment. I think there's one either later this month or in March, but I'm really not in any condition to do either. I'd like to do one by June/July but it just depends on the schedule. It isn't like up in the States where there's a meet just about every weekend, haha
    Where are you?

New Zealand

Day 1 - 2/8/10

Squat - 1RM: 161 kg

60 kg x 5 reps @ 6 RPE - 37% of 1RM
    72.5 kg x 5 reps @ 6 RPE - 45% of 1RM
    85 kg x 5 reps @ 6 RPE - 53% of 1RM
    97.5 kg x 5 reps @ 6 RPE - 60% of 1RM
    105 kg x 5 reps @ 7 RPE - 65% of 1RM

Bench Press - 1RM: 128 kg

80 kg x 3 reps @ 7 RPE - 62% of 1RM
    90 kg x 3 reps @ 7 RPE - 70% of 1RM
    102.5 kg x 6 reps @ 9 RPE - 80% of 1RM

Close-grip Bench - 1RM: 122 kg

90 kg x 5 reps x 3 sets @ 8 RPE - 74% of 1RM
    90 kg x 3 reps x 2 sets @ 8 RPE - 74% of 1RM

Chinups - 1RM: 132 kg

118.5 kg (+30kg) x 1 reps x 6 sets @ 8 RPE - 90% of 1RM

Good session today. Weight was back up to 88.5 (~195 lbs) from all the junk over the last three days. Pies and KFC and Cadbury are the best.

Squats are easing back up slowly. I get a little warning-stretch not-quite-pain in both the quad and the previous adductor injury from a year ago, but it eases out as I go up the ladder.

You should definitely write an article on the KK-style deadlift.

I've been thinking about experimenting with it since reading about your success with it at amped, as well as the Wendler/Bolton/et al recommendation of a relaxed upper back. My raw SQ/DL ratio has reached absurd ratios, something like 435-455 / 470lbs; (and yes, the squats are to correct depth. Sumo appeared to be identical to the clean-style deadlift in terms of performance).

Some thoughts/questions:

1) Olympic lifting shoes? I've found that they helped (or at least, didn't hurt) the clean-style deadlift, probably by increasing speed off the floor(though more quads). Since round back lifters don't really have a problem at the floor, I'm guessing oly shoes could be counterproductive.

2) When to breathe- Before grabbing the bar, or after? In the article on Bob Peoples that was posted somewhere here, he recommends letting out your air to maximize the hunch. However, this would negatively affect abdominal bracing (against a belt, at least). Do you find that the timing of the breathing affects set up, or is this an unimportant point?

3) Thoughts on how KK wears his belt high? I was experimenting with how this feels earlier. I think he's onto something here - if you let it cover your front lower ribs somewhat (it'll be looser than your normal belt), you can still brace against it, with next to no discomfort when setting up.

4) Appropriate cues for set up - I'm guessing that Rip's "dick between the knees" cue is useful here for setting the LB, since we want to avoid any chest-related cues.

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit muddled, but mewants to get a huge DL this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
    You should definitely write an article on the KK-style deadlift.

I've been thinking about experimenting with it since reading about your success with it at amped, as well as the Wendler/Bolton/et al recommendation of a relaxed upper back. My raw SQ/DL ratio has reached absurd ratios, something like 435-455 / 470lbs; (and yes, the squats are to correct depth. Sumo appeared to be identical to the clean-style deadlift in terms of performance).

Some thoughts/questions:

1) Olympic lifting shoes? I've found that they helped (or at least, didn't hurt) the clean-style deadlift, probably by increasing speed off the floor(though more quads). Since round back lifters don't really have a problem at the floor, I'm guessing oly shoes could be counterproductive.
    It all depends on your style honestly. For me, elevated heels aren't helpful. As you said they're good for cleans due to quad engagement, but it seems incompatible w/ my DL style.

Interestingly enough, I was just talking to blowdpanis about this the other day, but my power clean style (which is much more textbook) has deviated so far from my deadlift that I can't even do them on the same day anymore.

I liked to do cleans as warmups into deads, but I started noticing that the form differences were mucking up one or the other. I'd either try to clean roundback, or more commonly, I'd end up screwing up my DL form.

If you pull more clean-style, OL shoes are probably useful. I've just not found that much from it with the round-back "crane" style.

2) When to breathe- Before grabbing the bar, or after? In the article on Bob Peoples that was posted somewhere here, he recommends letting out your air to maximize the hunch. However, this would negatively affect abdominal bracing (against a belt, at least). Do you find that the timing of the breathing affects set up, or is this an unimportant point?
    There's definitely a timing cue to it, and the Peoples article summed up about what I do.

To start the lift, I exhale and get the thoracic rounding and scapular protraction, then grip the bar.

The trick here is to take a deep breath, but into your gut so you can push out against the abs (and belt if you're wearing one).

I try to time the breath and bracing with a quick dip at the hips and then immediately starting the pull.

3) Thoughts on how KK wears his belt high? I was experimenting with how this feels earlier. I think he's onto something here - if you let it cover your front lower ribs somewhat (it'll be looser than your normal belt), you can still brace against it, with next to no discomfort when setting up.
    Yeah, you definitely need to wear it a little higher with this approach. It seems to give the same cues (and really that's all I'm wearing it for anyway, to remind me to keep tight), and it doesn't interfere with that "hip hinge" kind of action.

You're basically stiff-legging the thing with this style, so it's helpful to maintain that position.

4) Appropriate cues for set up - I'm guessing that Rip's "dick between the knees" cue is useful here for setting the LB, since we want to avoid any chest-related cues.
    Yeah I guess that'd cover it. To be honest I try to avoid a lot of overthinking it during the setup. The steps above, rounding the upper back, gripping, then deep breath/bracing and dipping the hips to the start position, are about all the thought I put into it.

I love the way it works, though. The weight just seems to snap right off the ground and it has a much smoother bar-path in comparison to "regular" conventional.

Hah, I guess an article isn't really necessary - thanks for rounding out my thoughts.

Something else popped into my head - when I have used mixed-grip in the clean-style deadlift, it leads to an annoying bar rotation, with the supinated side floating out a tiny bit from the shin. Does the scapular protraction/round back reduce this tendency at all?

starting strength coach development program
    go back to 135 and start again you noob

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast