starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make a Masters lifter stronger

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by slughammer View Post
    Bergie, thanks for the links to the Korte 3 x 3. I'm doing PIP for the squat and press myself, but wasn't sure where to go after this. The Korte 3 x 3 using only the main lifts would work great for me using my barbell equipment at home. (plus it also has the deadlift, which I wasn't sure how to incorporate into PIP).

Not sure if you are going directly from the write up that you linked to, but one thing I noticed is your deadlift weight and reps. The write up set the deadlift target at 15lbs over your max and the set x rep scheme is 5-8 x 5 . I notice you have been doing 8 reps, did you pick that up from a different write up?

Regards - Slughammer
    Your welcome. I liked this program for the same reasons. I matched my equipment and the lifts I was most interested for now.

Good catch on the DL reps. That should be 5 and not 8. I made a typo then ran with the wrong number. No wonder my back is sore. Thanks!!

My Back is feeling better.

In the second week, weights are 60% of my targeted weights.

Bench
    8x6 @ 140

Deadlifts
    5x5 @ 220
    There is still some back discomfort when I stand up after the last rep of each of the sets. Only felt it once during lift. That was a 5th rep poor form issue.

Squats
    8x5 #200
    The back thing was fine during the lifts, but again felt the pain/discomfort when I stand up after racking the bar. It persists for a couple mins before all but disappearing.

This seems sorta weird to me, on the last two reps of the day instead of standing up after racking the bar I dropped down and sort hung from the bar; just stretched everything out. I hung by by hands for maybe 10 secs or so then got up. No pain at all. Not sure if that is significant as to determining what type of injury is there, but it sure felt better.

Overall the back issue seems to be resolving itself.

4/23 Friday

In the second week, weights are 60% of my targeted weights.

Bench
    8x6 @ 140
    Feeling good.

Deadlifts
    8x5 @ 220
    There is still some back discomfort when I stand up after the last rep of each of the sets.

Squats
    8x5 @ 200
    The back thing was fine during the lifts, but again felt the pain/discomfort when I standing up after racking the bar. Still a little sore a couple hours after the workout.

4/28 Wednesday

In the third week, weights are 62% of my targeted weights.

I missed Monday due to traveling out of town.

Bench
    8x6 @ 145
    Feeling good.

Deadlifts
    8x5 @ 225

Squats
    8x5 @ 205

The back thing was fine during the lifts with only a little discomfort afterward. Looks like the time off was beneficial.

4/30 Friday

In the third week, weights are 62% of my targeted weights.

Bench
    8x6 @ 145
    Feeling good.

Deadlifts
    6x5 @ 225

Squats
    8x5 @ 205

I was working from home on Friday so I did all of my lifts together instead of bench/DL around lunch and Squats in the evening. I could really tell the difference. I was very tired by the end of the DLs, that is why I cut them short. My back was really fussing at me as well Friday night.

I have been too busy to post this past week. Here is the catch up.

5/3 Monday

Fourth Week, weights are 64% of my targeted weights.

Bench
    8x6 @ 150
    Feeling good.

Deadlifts
    6x5 @ 235

Squats
    8x5 @ 210

I was still very sore from Friday's workout.

I have definitely hit the over training wall. This past week (5/3 - 5/7) my lower back and upper glutes have been telling me to slow down.

There were some comments at the beginning of this thread suggesting that the program might be too aggressive. I would have to agree now that that was the case. Although it took almost a month to get there.

Anyway, the volume portion of the program is finished and I move on the building up to my target weights. The weight I am not lifting heavy during a given workout is 60% of the target weight. The heavy lifts are as follows:

Week 5
    80% of target

Week 6
    85% of target

Week 7
    90% of target

Week 8
    95% or target

I have a PL meet at the end of week 8 so I will have to make some changes to allow some rest before the meet.

I am wondering if this might also be too aggressive for my age since Rip has been writing a lot recently about us older guys only doing squats 2x week. I guess I will find out soon enough. I will be listening to my body very closely, that's for sure.

Here is how it is supposed to shake out:

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/WGBERG%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

Yesterday was the first workout of the 5th week.

Everything felt great.

Hi Bergie,

this is all very interesting, thanks for keeping this log.
    And good luck with your next meet.

IPB

We bought a new house and with packing, moving, unpacking, not to mention two kids getting sick, and my home gym not being set up as of yet - well I have not worked out in about a month.

I will not be doing the 6/13 PL meeting as planned either. For some reason I feel a bit under prepared.

Well back to the fun starting this week. I will be training toward a 8/13 PL meet in Athens, GA.

I will be using the same program as stated above. The main reason is that it simple and the workouts are fairly quick.

I am making some changes though. I am cutting the DL to only 2/week and I am going to do presses twice a week and bench once a week. I feel that my press is very much lacking (135x5 is my current PR). Hopefully there will be bleed over from the press to my bench for the meet.

Here is how the next two months should play out:

Yesterday's work out went well.

Forget to mention. I do my squats at home and I don't have my home gym together yet. So I am doing my squats on a Smith Machine at work.

Squats 6x 190 felt pretty heavy. Legs were starting to get sore from unpacking Sunday. A lot of boxes in the basement had to be taken up to the second floor. Today (Tuesday) my legs have a bunch of DOMS. I am not sure if it is from Sunday or Monday or the combination of the two.

Press 6x80 (see I told you I was lacking in this area) I had to work a bit harder than I though I would to get all the reps in the last couple sets. Not a ball buster effort but I did have a good burn in tricepts and traps. After thinking about this I am going to up my goal weight to 150.

Deadlift Weight came up easy, everything felt good and tight. No back issues at all.

I am hoping to get my gym up and running by next weekend. I have to build a lifting platform to cover the nice tile floor in what will be the workout room.
    Last edited by Bergie; 06-08-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Hi Bergie,

Quote Originally Posted by Bergie View Post
    Hopefully there will be bleed over from the press to my bench for the meet.
    Glad to read you back.
    In my little experience, there is more transfer from the bench to the press than the other way round. Hopefully this will still be enough for you.
    Take care,

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    6/9 Wed

I am really sore from Mondays workout. Quads, glutes, hammies, and adductors are all complaining. I was temped not to workout and give legs a chance to get over the DOMS.

It is surprising that I got as sore as I did. I wouldn't have thought 4 weeks off would do that. After all my workout weight is only at 58% of my target weight; or about 65% of my squat PR. It is probably the evil Smith Machine. It is not letting me move naturally.

Oh well, I figure that it is better to do squats on the Smith than to do nothing at all.

I started off with 5 min of rowing just to warm things up a bit.

Figured a few light squats would do the legs good.

Ended up doing the complete workout.

Squats 8x5 @190. So much for resting up a bit.

Bench went well. 8x6 @ 135

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast