starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to make a Masters lifter stronger

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by poopmonkey View Post
    Just watched your squat vids and noticed you have the same crappy powerrack that I do. (Weider model, right?)

I've been forced to bench off the pins because of the way the rack is made.

But I noticed it looks like you ditched the pull-down attachment that comes with the rack. With that out of the way, are you able to bench inside the rack normally?
    Yep. I figured it was better to bench in the rack than using the lat pull down thing. It works well.

That power rack is pretty crappy. Having external pins would be nice so I could do my press with having to clean it first. I got it off Craigslist for cheep though so I can't complain too much.
    Last edited by Bergie; 08-04-2010 at 05:50 AM.

Well I finished up the last workout of the Korte 3x3 program last night with a new PR for the squat. 305! I tried for 315 just for grins and it wasn't happening and I had to bail.

This program was moderately effective. Here are my 1 RM strength gains:

April August % increase
    Squat 292 305 4

Bench 215 215 no change

Deadlift 325 335 3

No huge changes but at least the squat and DL went up. The numbers are not really high compared to many lifters but as a relatively new "elderly" lifter I feel pretty good.

I messed up the bench by introducing the press in as well just because I wanted to. There was minimal improvement there either. I imagine the intensity and volume was not high enough for either of those lifts. Oh well.

Last night, after the squats, I continued with the OL workout. Still using low weights and focusing on technique.

Cleans 5x3 @ 95
    Clean pulls, NE 3x6 @ 95
    Push Jerk, 5x3 @ 95 slammed my chin really hard with the bar. No blood and didn't' knock my self out so. Sorry no video of that wonderful move.
    Behind the neck press, snatch grip, 3x12 14
    Counter-movement jumps, 3x3

All in all a very tiring night.
    Last edited by Bergie; 08-05-2010 at 11:58 AM.

Welcome to the 300 club.

Yeah, I got my rack cheap as well. Was pretty excited until I got home and realized I couldn't bench in it. I'll take off the latpulldown attachment tonight and see if that works.

Screwed over by Weider again...

Congratulations Bergie, you worked very hard for this, you deserve it.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Congratulations Bergie, you worked very hard for this, you deserve it.

IPB

Thanks, it sure felt good to break the 300 barrier.

Bergie-

this is my 2nd time on korte 3x3. last year i grew and my lifts went up by 9-10%. right now im in phase 1 week 3 day2 and im just not feelin the love i did with this the first time. good job! but i think theres bigger gains elsewhere... or maybe this would make a great winter program as people tend to eat more in winter than summer...hmmm your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by StrongIslander,NY View Post
    Bergie-

this is my 2nd time on korte 3x3. last year i grew and my lifts went up by 9-10%. right now im in phase 1 week 3 day2 and im just not feelin the love i did with this the first time. good job! but i think theres bigger gains elsewhere... or maybe this would make a great winter program as people tend to eat more in winter than summer...hmmm your thoughts?
    You might be right. Eating is necessary. My gains were probably not as high as they could have been because of diet. I had lost 10 pounds in the time same April / August time frame. I do like the quick workout session with Korte, three lifts and your done.

I also changed the program some. I found that 3 sessions of Deads per week was killing my back. Just not enough recovery time for the old body. For my next strength program I am going to try TM. That will be after I give the OL a try.

starting strength coach development program
    Thursday

Snatch pull, NE + shrug, 5x6 @ 135

Overhead squats, 5x5@ 45. Very light, just focusing on technique
    Front squats, 3x8 @ 95

Good mornings, standing, 5x12 @ 45. I had never done these so started off very light.

Incline sit-ups, 3x12

Sprints 3x30m produced a slight strain in right groin right at the origination point. Fist sprints in a long time, of course I pushed too hard.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345