starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "Novice' Master prep for Keystone Games (7/23/10)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Week 7 day 1
    Feeling good coming off the 'maximal' weeks...
    Did a few minutes on a bike to warm up the knees.

SNATCH:
    bar work from multi-positions and drop snatches
    95(lbs)/2
    115/2

CLEAN & JERK:
    bar work
    115/1+2
    ( I realized I missed a rep @ 165 - oh well, all the jerks felt crisp and sharp!)

SQUAT:
    330/1,1,1,1

starting strength coach development program
    This was supposed to be meet day. I had two opportunities ne way down south in GA - but no one from the team/coach was going this year, two was a last chance qualifier (didn't want to take up a slot for someone who was going to Cincinnati).

Plus, this was the last week of my 13 y/o's football league.

So, lifted @ the barbell club.

SNATCH:
    Warmed up: bar, 40/2, 50,60/1,1,66,71,73.5,75/x,x,;76
    then
    made 80
    missed 82.5 (poor pull)
    missed 82.5 (I did pull the crap out of it - almost lost it behind)

CLEAN & JERK:
    bar;60;70;80;90;96
    then
    made 100
    missed 102.5 (easy clean and recovery; pressed out the jerk)
    missed 103.5 (easy clean and recovery; dip and drive was okay; not getting my feet out far enough/fast enough)

SNATCH Notes:
    I took 60 2x because it wasn't feeling fast.
    I can't believe I missed 75 on my warm ups - I haven't missed this in a while.
    76 felt like it was my first really warmed up lift - crisp and solid. I need to learn how to gauge my warm ups.
    80 was NOT an PR - I hit 81 during the last training cycle on a Monday.
    I think my pull is good for 85 or more. I need to learn to stay tight when I receive the bar.
    I can overhead squat anything I can snatch with ease. When I'm not too timid I can pull good. I need to get better in the receiving position.

Coaches (Rege Becker and Alex Chtanine) suggested overhead squats (Rege feels I need to get more comfortable in the bottom position) and snatch grip push presses (Alex noted these will help w/the lockout of the arms).

CLEAN & JERK:
    my clean seems to be advancing ahead of my jerk. The jerk is only a 4 kg increase since July. Many are telling me I need to (in addition to staying aggressive w/the dip & drive) get my feet out more and faster.

I ended up with one set of clean pulls for 3, 4 singles in the back squat, and 3x5 push presses.

My next scheduled meet is 12 weeks out (Jan. 29th). I am openly soliciting myself to any coach who wants to use me as a guinea pig for the next 12 weeks as long as it culminates in meet prep the 1/29/11.

One astute observer (another masters lifter) noted he can tell that I lack confidence when I attempt max. efforts.

I do plan a review of my experience w/ Dr. Hartman's 8 week contest prep soon...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456