starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coup de Todd

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As I'm working on getting my weight down to where I can compete at 94kg, I'll add those nice little factoids here as well.

Last night went to bed at 214.6#

Woke up this morning at 213.0#

So far today I've eaten:

1. Chick-fil-a biscuit while waiting for wife in her doctor's appointment;

2. two pieces of toast with PB&J as first meal;

3. three steak tacos, no cheese, add guacamole from Taco Bell

4. two pieces of toast with PB&J

I don't have an eating disorder, but occasionally I have disordered eating.
    Last edited by toddmr; 09-02-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Woke up at 213.0# this morning.

Didn't eat till noon, then a fajita lunch special with beef at El Torero. No cheese, no sour cream, no pico de gallo.

Picked up some pea protein to see how that works.

I tried some of the pea protein, and I'm quite pleased. I just couldn't choke any more of that egg protein down. But the pea protein with some crystal light mix and water is pretty good.
    Last edited by toddmr; 09-02-2010 at 12:03 PM.

So far today I've had three helpings of the pea protein in water with some crystal light mixed in.

Dinner was "They Might be Tacos," chicken in taco seasoning with chopped tomatoes, avocado and RedHot. I put that shit on everything.

Tonight's workout was an exercise in just finishing the god-damned workout.

I knew from this morning that it was going to suck and it did suck indeed.

Woke up with a twingey back, felt like crap most of the day.

Went to the gym and started working snatch singles, up to my PR of 65 kg. Failed it a couple of times, muscled two up, and got one good rep.

My left shoulder felt weak in the overhead position, so I knew it would be an abbreviated workout. Going a little heavier doesn't bother it as much as a bunch of reps.

Then squatted up to 160kg for a series of singles, and 182.5 kg.

Greg Glassman once said, "it's okay to be a pussy" in talking about going through a workout with less intensity occasionally. I've adopted that because it cuts the excuses out, calls pussyism what it is and takes responsibility for it.

My workout sucked for a variety of reasons, but chief among them that I was a pussy today.

Admitting that feels great and reminds me what I have to do next time. Bring the motherfucking intensity. Keep the filthy mellow hippie music off the ipod and bring the noise.

Woke up this morning at 212.6#. I may or may not have eaten a five guys hamburger with ketchup, lettuce, tomato and A1 sauce at 9:20 PM last night.

Thursday night I tore a callus on my hand. Thought it was well enough to lift today, but was quickly proven wrong.

It was inspiring at the gym with the masters lifters, though.

One of the guys hit his PR in the Clean and Jerk easily at 90kg. Easily enough that they talked him into going for 92 kg. He fought with 92 a few times, but in the end just didn't have it in him.

One of the other guys showed us a video from earlier in the week of him cleaning 140kg easy. He hit 146 kg earlier this week, which is a PR for him.

Though my own lifting end quickly this morning, I did get to do some technique work centered on finishing the second pull and getting full involvement from my hips.

I'll either push the prowler later today or pull the sled, maybe some squats in the globo gym if I get enough work done.

On the drive to the gym this morning I ate 1.5 sausage mcmuffins with egg, hold the cheese. I love these but they're not nearly as good without the cheese. This shit is ruining my life. My PR for sausage mcmuffins with egg is 6. Breakfast also included an order of hash browns and a medium coke.

PWO was two scoops of pea protein in water with crystal lite mix.
    Last edited by toddmr; 09-04-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Lunch was 12 oz flat iron steak with Chef Paul Prudhomme's blackened redfish magic and olive oil sprayed on it.

One big home-grown tomato with 2 tbsp ken's lite caesar dressing.

Iced tea.

Dinner last night was some roast pork tenderloin my wife made. Probably 4-6 oz. Plus 1.5 cups of steamed snow peas and broccoli.

Snack later was one of those little one-serving packs of nutter butters - four cookies.

Went to bed at 218, woke up this morning at 215.0#, dropped it to 214.0#

Breakfast was three cups of coffee with horrible soy creamer. Four farm eggs, scrambled with RedHot. Four strips of bacon. Some of that bacon went on a tomato sandwich with two slices wheat bread, Duke's mayonnaise, tomato slices. I also ate the rest of the tomato with a bit of salt.

Bench press 3x1@210, 3x2@190, 3x1@170

hammer curls 10 @ 30# with Fat Gripz. Harder than fuck.

10@ 35, 8x30 fat gripz, 8x30 fat grip

dumbbell flye/bench 3x12@45#

dumbbell overhead press 3x8 @ 40#

wide stance good mornings, 8x135, 3x8@185

two themes today: helping my hand heal from torn callus, and going easy on the legs.

All day my legs have felt fatigued so I didn't want to tax them further.

Trying to be ready for Olympic lifting meet Saturday.

Ate six Oreos and one ostrich jerky. Jerky was nasty.

Squat 6x2@405# on 90 seconds. Like this tempo, like using the interval timer. Keeps my mind from wandering, allows me to keep better focus between sets.

Press 7x1@165#, weight went up fast and easy. Move up to 170 for next time. On 90 seconds. Then 3x2 @ 145#; 3x3@ 125#, trying out the sets, reps for backoff that I'm using for bench press. Changed my grip to more like a bench grip. Not the grip so much as the wrist. More like a bench, less like a clean and jerk. Think of the forearm vertical, then the back of the hands vertical. I hope this makes sense to me when I re-read it, as it can't possibly make sense to anyone else.

Hammer curls, @ 40# for 10, 8, 8
    Dumbbell flye/bench @ 50# for 12, 12, 12, easy as pie.

Good mornings, 8x3 @ 225#. Trying new set, rep scheme at a higher weight. Just fucking around. Didn't want to do anything that was too rough on the hands. My callus is healing nicely, but I can't fuck it up before Saturday.

Found a new coconut milk-based "frozen dessert" that's every bit as good as premium ice cream. Life somewhat more worth living now.

PWO drink = 2 scoops of pea protein, crystal light mix. Immediately PWO.

starting strength coach development program
    This past Sunday I competed in the local Emory Classic weightlifting meet.

Warming up before the meet, my callus, which I thought had healed sufficiently, tore like a motherfucker and bled all over the bar. Fuckity fuck. Had to search around to borrow some tape to cover that shit. Made me a little bit nervous about the lifts.

I snatched 60, 65, then 67. That was a PR. I probably could have gone 70 but am trying to learn where the line between ambitious and greedy is. If I had it to do over again, I would have opened with 65, which was my third lift at last meet. Then taken the PR second and gone balls-out for three.

I cleaned-and-jerked 70, 80, 85. Another PR. Last meet I CJed 80 then cleaned an ugly 88 and redlighted the jerk for a press out. This time I got a single red light on 80kg for catching the clean without bending my knees. WTMFF?

I'd never heard of the requirement that you either split or bend your knees in receiving a clean. Pissed me the fuck off. Bitched up and down, talked to several other folks and no one had any fucking idea what that was all about.

Caught the 85 clean and rode that bitch down like a crossfit "squat clean". Three whites. I know I had 90 in the tank but with the red on 80, I decided to go with a smaller increment for a PR.

And sure enough, I looked at the IWF technical rules and it says:

"The barbell is placed horizontally in front of the lifter’s
    legs. It is ... pulled in a single movement from the platform
    to the full extent of both arms above the head, while either
    splitting or bending the legs."

You could certainly read that as requiring either a splitting or bending of the legs. Now I know, and now you do too.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast