starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squatson Is Competitive

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Tuesday

Bench

5,5,12x175 - New bench setup is MEGA strong...bar path is right the whole time, no wasted energy fighting it up.

V-Handle Pulldown

160x7
    110x12

Squat

5,5,9x265

Good luck at the meet! Get some video.

Thanks KONG. I'll try to get some footie.

The meet is streaming live at www.brutestrengthgym.net (in case anyone is ultra bored on Saturday)

I just got back home from the meet. It was tits. I met a lot of cool people and had a great time. The guys from CVA Barbell out of Fredericksburg kind of took me under their wing, helping me with warm ups and such. Lots of strong dudes were there, including me of course.

Squat

I opened with 275....ultra light, just wanted to get the commands straight. I had never lifted out of a monolift, but it was easy to get used to. I wanted to walk it out anyway, but they had safety straps on the bar that made that impossible. Apparently nobody has seen anyone bounce a squat...people thought that I was going to get pinned by the weight. Next attempt was at 300, it was like a peanut. Third attempt was ~330, also light as a peanut. I was kind of upset because I didn't get to push the squat, but I got 9 white lights....there is always next time.

Bench

Back started cramping up during warmups, not a good sign. I drank a shit ton of gatorade and ate a couple of bananas, cleared it right up. I opened with 200...just to get the commands right. I was waiting for a down command, then realized that there wasn't one, took it down, paused it and threw it up. Went up to ~225, that also went up quick. I was a bit ballsy with my 3rd attempt at ~245...I got it about 3 inches up, but that was it.

Deadlift

Opened with 375...I totally double overhanded it on accident....I didn't notice until the bar started slipping from my hands. Luckily, the judge gave me the down command before I dropped it. Second attempt was ~400...SMOKED it. Went up to ~420 for the 3rd attempt...SMOKED that. They were offering 4th attempts (not to count for total) so I took one at 441. SMOKED that...very pleased. I am closer to a #500 dead than I thought.

Totalled something around 975...if you count my last dead it's closer to 990. Goal was to total 1000, but I took my openers really light to get used to the commands. 9/10 isn't bad for a first meet, and I didn't get any red lights for being stupid.

I ended up getting 3rd in the 240 class....guess how many people were in that class......3. Oh well, I'll cherish my ribbon forever.

Saw lots of cool shit, some pretty big squats (most of them geared), a raw 580 bench, and a few sick deadlifts over 700. Guy from SC was pulling 760some and got a bloody nose, pretty epic.

Tuesday

Press

5,5,9x130

EZ Bar Curl

12x75
    12x75

Squat

5,5,9x260

Nice story, what's this new bench set up you speak of?

Start with your head off the bench, pretend like that is where you are going to start from and set your feet. Without moving your feet, pull yourself under the bar until your eyes are directly underneath it. The result is an arched position...if your low back isn't cramping, you aren't doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatson View Post
    Start with your head off the bench, pretend like that is where you are going to start from and set your feet. Without moving your feet, pull yourself under the bar until your eyes are directly underneath it. The result is an arched position...if your low back isn't cramping, you aren't doing it right.
    Oh.. I personally don't like arching, and never use it...

Eh...the difference is night and day to me. It's a lot easier to keep the bar path straight. Pretty much everyone at the meet was using a similiar setup.

starting strength coach development program
    If anyone is interested, here's a video of KONG using the same setup.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast