starting strength gym
Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlos Daniel's equipped powerlifting log: lifting heavy with funny clothing

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Keep at it, you will get the hang of the suit. Just take it easy and slowly increase the weight until you are used to it.
    My friend suggested urged me not to lift with the suit until I fix it, unfortunately. Guess I'll have to go raw next week.

But really, the busted suit is what really bothers me. It's in the harness system, a crucial part of the suit. If I bust it open during a heavy attempt, catastrophic failure will ensue.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 07-23-2011 at 03:11 PM.

I know absolutely nothing about lifting with suits and shirts Carlos, but I look forward to hearing about how you do at your upcoming meet.

While I've always lifted raw, I knew a guy, lifted with him for a while actually, that was a record holder in the bench press. He swore up and down that his lifts really didn't take off until he started wearing a bench shirt and squatted with a suit. His thought was that they helped him handle more weight and his tendons and muscles got used to holding the much heavier weight. He went on to win a whole lot of competitions in the 50-70+ year old range until he retired at around 75 years old when he was still handling a 315 raw bench in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about lifting with suits and shirts Carlos, but I look forward to hearing about how you do at your upcoming meet.

While I've always lifted raw, I knew a guy, lifted with him for a while actually, that was a record holder in the bench press. He swore up and down that his lifts really didn't take off until he started wearing a bench shirt and squatted with a suit. His thought was that they helped him handle more weight and his tendons and muscles got used to holding the much heavier weight. He went on to win a whole lot of competitions in the 50-70+ year old range until he retired at around 75 years old when he was still handling a 315 raw bench in the gym.
    Interesting stuff, Oldster. Well, in 4 months I'll know a little more of how gear works.

Monday

General impression: I was feeling like utter crap today. But I did my worksets and all was well, even though it wasn't a very pleasant workout.

Squat

340x5x5

Those were easier than last Monday's squats but still not easy. I think I left "easy" at 300 pounds.

Bench

220x5x5

Those were a tad on the hard side and I was pressed for time, but I managed to get all reps with decent technique.

Couldn't do my Krow rows for lack of time but I'll do them Wednesday and do BW chins instead of weighted ones.

It seems I caught another virus. If I was gay I'd think I have AIDS or something.

Carlos - I like reading your logs. Good work.

Now after the compliments, I have a question for you :-)

When you competed in São Paulo last month, did you hear any of the Paulistanos discussing where they train? I saw that the meet was at Paulista, but even if the setup there is nice, I imagine that you need to be a member to train. Any ideas of a good, basic, strength oriented gym that doesn't fit the typical Bally's Brazilian style? I was training at the local Crossfit gym before I hurt my back semi-recently, and despite really liking the people there, I think that I want some more structure when I start back up. I know that you're in Rio, but I'd appreciate any knowledge or suggestions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcggg View Post
    Carlos - I like reading your logs. Good work.

Now after the compliments, I have a question for you :-)

When you competed in São Paulo last month, did you hear any of the Paulistanos discussing where they train? I saw that the meet was at Paulista, but even if the setup there is nice, I imagine that you need to be a member to train. Any ideas of a good, basic, strength oriented gym that doesn't fit the typical Bally's Brazilian style? I was training at the local Crossfit gym before I hurt my back semi-recently, and despite really liking the people there, I think that I want some more structure when I start back up. I know that you're in Rio, but I'd appreciate any knowledge or suggestions.

Thanks
    Thanks for the compliment, buddy.

The meet was actually at a small city called Franca, about 6 hours from the city of São Paulo.

I don't really know where the people in São Paulo train, but I have contacts there so I can easily ask. I happen to know one of the foremost female powerlifters in Brazil, and she lives in the greater São Paulo area. I'm sure she can say where her buddies train (she trains at home) or I can put her in contact with you if you'd like.

Ah, OK. I guess Clube Paulistano tricked me with their flyer. Or maybe there are multiple events?

http://www.powerlifting-sp.com/2011/...rlifting-2011/

But yeah, if your friend has any suggestions I would definitely appreciate them.

Thanks, man.

It was another meet in fact. The one you just showed me was from the IPF affiliate and was by invitation only (WTF, right?).

Do you have facebook?

starting strength coach development program
    Hey guys, give me a hand here.

If you have facebook, like this page http://www.facebook.com/SNCLeblon and then like my comment in this picture http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater , the person whose comment gets the most likes wins the supplements in the picture.

Page 3 of 105 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast