starting strength gym
Page 105 of 479 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 4785

Thread: sking's log

Default Monday, 07/23/12 - Conditioning

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Walking with my wife, fairly brisk pace, 45 minutes.

Did this at 5:00-5:45pm. Quite hot. We jumped straight in the pool for over an hour after. Man, did that feel good!

I also had a near perfect diet today:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/dia...ate=2012-07-23
    Last edited by sking1001; 07-23-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    I guess I've really fallen behind in the close grip work.
    Remind me again as to the negatives to having big strong triceps?

For the life of me, I just can't remember what the heck it was....

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Remind me again as to the negatives to having big strong triceps?

For the life of me, I just can't remember what the heck it was....
    Your biceps end up look small by comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Your biceps end up look small by comparison?
    HA! How true dat be! I've always said my biceps look like those of a 12 year old girls...

Easing into conditioning with brisk walking eh... You're a smarter man than me, haha...

I like the looks of your new program. How long have you been logging your diet? Does it change your food choices at all to know that you will need to record it? What goals are you trying to hit each day with regard to your eating?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    HA! How true dat be! I've always said my biceps look like those of a 12 year old girls...
    That's funny, Oldster. I don't know where I got my biceps, unless it was from during the bodybuilding days, but I don't have to worry about that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
    Easing into conditioning with brisk walking eh... You're a smarter man than me, haha...
    Heh, I don't have a prowler, and some walking with my wife just might be the extent of my conditioning. I'm going to keep up the walking and focus on my diet as well as my usual training. Maybe it will turn into more, but I'm not going to stress about it at the moment. Who knows, maybe someday I can be hurling with the best of 'em like you, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillian View Post
    I like the looks of your new program. How long have you been logging your diet? Does it change your food choices at all to know that you will need to record it? What goals are you trying to hit each day with regard to your eating?
    Thanks, Gillian. I started using MyFitnessPal just last Wednesday. You can see my entire history via that link. I started reading Jordan's blog, and his post about Food Matters gave me the final kick to start tracking again. It really does change the way I eat, because I know I'm going to have to figure out what's in that stuff I put down my gullet! MyFitnessPal makes it really easy. The iPhone app has a bar code scanner for entering foods, which REALLY makes it a breeze.

I'm not sure where to put my goals, and I'm going to ask Jordan if he would give me a little bit of guidance later this week, but I think maintenance might be around 2800 for me. I put my goals into the program as 2200 (before exercise) with 40/40/20 protein/fat/carbs. Yesterday I achieved 39/41/20. That's really hard to do. If you look back at previous days, you'll see they're not that great. I want to eventually get it dialed in with some high and low carb days, but the first step is just to get tracking.

Default Tuesday, 07/10/12 - Rack Pull, Volume Squat

While we were talking and enjoying the pool yesterday evening, I convinced my wife to go to the gym with me, like we used to. She pretty much stopped going with me when I switched from bodybuilder type isolation stuff to heavy 5's in February 2011. So last night we decided that not only did she not have to do the same things as I, but I could make some compromises and do more assistance stuff than normal.

She came down with me today, along with my son. It took a little longer, and I didn't actually get to RDL's, but I started her off on them, and I hope we can continue to train together. Who knows, she may gradually start to enjoy the compound lifts. Maybe I'll get her to start a log here, so you guys be nice, haha :-)

Rack Pull
    135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 405x5, 455x2
    Went too heavy like an idiot. I thought I would be able to do my max deadlift x 5, but these were really hard. I guess my weak point really is at the knees, so I think these will be very beneficial. I'll build up from 405 next time. I had myself starting at 480 on the spreadsheet...sheesh.

Squat
    135x5, 225x5, 325x5x5
    I felt pretty rushed by the time I got to these and was feeling pretty fatigued anyway. 5x5 can be pretty exhausting even with lighter weight. My son, Landen, thought it would be funny to narrate my 2nd set...

Maybe I'll do the RDL's tonight, but more than likely we will just go for another walk.

Rack Pulls aren't really much easier than deadlifts as far as how much weight you can use if you do them completely below the knee. The shorter range of motion is offset by losing the "momentum" off the floor through most people's sticking point. You honestly might be good using your deadlift 1 rep max as your rack pull 1 rep max to start.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Rack Pulls aren't really much easier than deadlifts as far as how much weight you can use if you do them completely below the knee. The shorter range of motion is offset by losing the "momentum" off the floor through most people's sticking point. You honestly might be good using your deadlift 1 rep max as your rack pull 1 rep max to start.
    No time to look it up right now, but I thought I remember something in SS about 1RM deadlift x 5. Anyway, I can tell you are right. Yeah, I'm starting about 3 inches below the middle of my knee cap.