starting strength gym
Page 13 of 479 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: sking's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I saw that! At least you know the leg drive is there. :-)

Are those 45's you are using on the powercleans the standard diameter? Those plates look similar to the ones at Anytime Fitness, and I know they are smaller than normal 45's.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I saw that! At least you know the leg drive is there. :-)
    Good point :-) I guess I'll need to put some weights behind the legs of the bench.

Are those 45's you are using on the powercleans the standard diameter? Those plates look similar to the ones at Anytime Fitness, and I know they are smaller than normal 45's.
    Hmm. I never even thought about that. I was pretty sure they are standard diameter. I'll have to bring my tape measure in next time.

Default Wednesday, 11/16/11

Madcow Intermediate Week 13

I brought my tape measure in today, Callador. I measured my iron plates at home at about 17.5 inches diameter. Sure enough, the TKO brand at the gym measured only 15.75 inches. At my gym, the center of the bar sits about 8 inches off the ground.

Squat (light)
    120x5, 165x5, 210x5x2

Press
    75x5, 100x5, 120x5, 140x5
    With the reset, I thought it would be a good time to get a little power clean technique practice in with these.

Deadlift
    230x5, 275x5, 320x5, 365x5
    I needed to fix my setup a bit, so I worked on that too. Still needs a little work.
    On set 4 at 320, I did the first 2 reps with a hook grip, 3rd rep double overhand, 4th rep hook, and 5th rep dexterous hand supine. Top set was dexterous supine, of course.

Dumbbell Bench Press
    50'sx10, 60'sx10, 70'sx10, 80'sx10, 90'sx6
    Got one more on the 90's than last time.

Power Shrugs
    135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 405x5, 495x5

Squat Walkouts
    405 for about 30-40 seconds. I've been wanting to do this for a while. I actually did a few quarter squats in the process.

Easy day.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    My left shoulder is at 99.9999%. I'm going to do a close grip bench today, and I'm not sure when or by how much I will start bringing my grip out on the bench.
    Why widen your grip at all when things are coming along so nicely? Remember, your bench should be at least 60% triceps. Maybe even more. You are finding your triceps getting noticably stronger and I'm sure you are adding a bit of noticable size also even during this very short amount of time. Why argue with success? I'll give you a reason not to change your grip very very easily. After 10 years of close grip work only I finally hit 400lbs in my close grip. So I took about 3 or 4 weeks and added in a wide(r) grip to see what I could handle with a wide grip. During those few weeks I was able to hit 400lbs with a wide grip also. Add size and strength to your triceps and don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by sking1001 View Post
    2) I am absolutely elated about my bench press! Switching to a close grip has been the best thing I have ever done. I can't believe how easily and smoothly 225 went up today. I remember when 225 was a major milestone even with a wider grip. I don't know what the strength increase will be between a 16" grip and my old grip (ring or index fingers on the rings), but I hope to see some nice improvement when I do go back to my regular grip. Now, I have been doing heavy dips and dumbbell benching as well, but at any rate, increasing tricep strength has been the holy grail for increasing my bench. Very happy right now!
    Imagine me sitting here with an incredibly smug look on my bearded face...

Oh, and I LOVE the nice controlled fashion you are using to bring the bar down to your chest. Perfect with a fantastic explosion. That will really add to your overall pressing strength fairly quickly.

Again.....imagine me sitting here with an incredibly smug look....

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Why widen your grip at all when things are coming along so nicely?
    My reasoning was that I could lift more weight with a wider grip. I was actually thinking about doing my 230 triple on Friday with a 16" grip and moving to a 20" grip for 230x5 on Monday.

I'll give you a reason not to change your grip very very easily. After 10 years of close grip work only I finally hit 400lbs in my close grip. So I took about 3 or 4 weeks and added in a wide(r) grip to see what I could handle with a wide grip. During those few weeks I was able to hit 400lbs with a wide grip also. Add size and strength to your triceps and don't worry.
    So, are you saying that you really didn't see much of a strength increase with a wider grip? I'm not sure what to expect, but I was able to do 255x3 at one point. I'm just not sure I could do that with a narrow grip. Is moving to 20" a good idea? Sometimes I think that might be the sweet spot.

Imagine me sitting here with an incredibly smug look on my bearded face...
    As well you should! I say I hate you, but you're secretly my best friend right now. I almost gave you another mention, but I didn't want to see your head explode. Seriously...I owe this success all to you, man! Thank you again!

Oh, and I LOVE the nice controlled fashion you are using to bring the bar down to your chest. Perfect with a fantastic explosion. That will really add to your overall pressing strength fairly quickly.
    Once again, your advice. You da man!

Again.....imagine me sitting here with an incredibly smug look....
    So in your well deserved smugness, tell me what you think about a 20" grip?

My reasoning was that I could lift more weight with a wider grip. I was actually thinking about doing my 230 triple on Friday with a 16" grip and moving to a 20" grip for 230x5 on Monday
    Yes, you can handle more weight with the wider grip because the range of motion is reduced. You need much more time using a close grip to not just heal to 101% but to strengthen your triceps. Don't get greedy right now. And I say that as someone who was as greedy as you can imagine when it came to lifting. Take your time. That will allow you to slowly work quickly. I hope that made sense!

So, are you saying that you really didn't see much of a strength increase with a wider grip? I'm not sure what to expect, but I was able to do 255x3 at one point. I'm just not sure I could do that with a narrow grip. Is moving to 20" a good idea? Sometimes I think that might be the sweet spot.
    A great point as to how I seldom explain myself properly and why the 'Perfessor' takes every opportunity to chide me about it...!
    To properly explain, when I first hurt my shoulder my bench was at around 360x1, my close grip around 315x1. After 10 years, maybe a bit less, I had moved that 315 close grip to 400, while I never performed a single wide grip (for me 23" between thumbs) bench. Then with 3 or 4 weeks of work with a 23" grip I also worked up to a 400lb bench too. So what I am saying, is that with less than minimal work I was able to add 40lbs to my bench by working my close grip only. Personally, speaking from my own experiences and those of my partners, I would stay with the 16" grip width until you were handling in excess of 300lbs. Unless of course you hit 300lbs this winter. Then I would wait even longer. It will not hurt you long term. Or short term for that matter.

I use a 20" grip now simply because the 16" is uncomfortably narrow. Over the past decade I've thickened and widened. I can't properly keep my elbows in with that close of a grip simply because my lats and triceps don't allow it. 18+" upper arms and a 52" chest forces my elbows at least 6-7" from my sides when pulling my arms in as tight as possible. Not as thick as my partner, but relatively thick. With any close grip I like to see the elbows in fairly tightly and with the bar on your chest the elbows should be directly under the bar. That makes 20" as narrow as I can go. But if your chest and back are wide enough and triceps thick enough that a tight 16" grip has your wrists well inside of your elbows, by all means widen out a bit. 16" is more of a rule of thumb rather than something written in stone. Over the years I've seen that grip width heal many many shoulders and add tons of beef to upper arms!

I say I hate you,
    You're gonna have to take a back seat there! My partners have been there a long time before you and said it much more vehemently and more vitriol....!

With any close grip I like to see the elbows in fairly tightly and with the bar on your chest the elbows should be directly under the bar. That makes 20" as narrow as I can go. But if your chest and back are wide enough and triceps thick enough that a tight 16" grip has your wrists well inside of your elbows, by all means widen out a bit. 16" is more of a rule of thumb rather than something written in stone. Over the years I've seen that grip width heal many many shoulders and add tons of beef to upper arms!
    That's makes perfect sense. I hear you loud and clear. The 'Perfessor' should be proud :-)

Default Friday, 11/18/11

Madcow Intermediate Week 13

Squat
    120x5, 165x5, 210x5, 255x5, 310x3, 210x10

17" Close Grip Bench Press
    115x5, 140x5, 170x5, 195x5, 230x3, 230x1, 170x18
    I changed to 17", because that's the distance between the knurling on the bars at my gym. Still gives me a nice tuck. Fairly easy top set, so the extra single was just for the heck of it. Notice that I got smart and put a 100 pound weight behind the bench so my leg drive no longer pushes the bench back :-)

Power Clean (PR)
    80x3, 95x3, 115x3, 135x3, 160x3
    Trying to fix some technique, so video of every set. Scraped my stomach pretty good on the 2nd rep of 135. Comments welcome.

I decided to replace curls with some weighted chin-ups, and I was running short on time, so I didn't bother lugging everything upstairs for weighted dips.

Weighted Chin-ups
    +25x3, +45x2, +100x1
    Did low reps to see how much weight I can handle...just having fun. I'm doing this experiment where I'm not tracking my calories and I'm not weighing until next week, but my BW is still probably around 180, so +100=280.

Triceps Extensions
    105x8x3

The 17" grip looks good. Form is very good. Have you noticed how much more explosive that first rep is now that you hold your breath when taking the bar? But when you get to your sticking point, that is when you start letting your breath out. Don't hold it to lockout. A tough rep and you could faint. Believe me.....!

I like the 18 rep backdown for a little extra work. I bet them there guns be swellin' up sumpin' fierce!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, Oldster. Yes, that was some excellent advice you gave me to hold my breath through the lift-off and the first rep. I actually had never heard that before, but I have noticed how much more explosive the first rep is and also the extra energy overall for the set. I do think I tend to exhale naturally at the sticking point, but I'll keep it at the forefront of my mind as well. Good point. I hope you aren't telling me from personal experience...yikes!

I was hoping to get 20 on the backdown, but that 18th was murder. Yep, massive pump!